shad in the skuke

skiltonian

skiltonian

They're showing up on the cam:
http://fairmountworks.com/fairmount-fish-cam/

Anyone been to the dam fishing?

I just checked the cam out and saw one right away...! Way Kewl

I would love to have cams set up in different places. It would be even cooler to tag and release fish with trackable gps

Still coming in....

Attachments

• Untitledfasdfasdfsadf.png
    Untitledfasdfasdfsadf.png
    148 KB · Views: 2
How big are these guys?

most shad run in the 3 to7 lb. class. then there are a few that run larger up to world record of 11 lb. 4 oz.. largest I ever caught and release 9 lb., put me into backing on an 8 wt.

Ive been getting them for about two or three weeks now.

anyone know where to park to fish fairmount dam on the I-76 side?

west river drive under the bridge. kinda a shady spot so you park at your own risk.

I watched a video last evening from below Fairmount Dam of an individual claiming that he was catching American shad. He wasn't, at least in the 10 minutes that I watched. Each fish that he called an American shad was a Gizzard Shad. Just a heads-up. Anglers fishing below Fairmount Dam need to be able to discriminate between Ameraican shad, Gizzard Shad, and Hickory Shad. Catching a Hickory Shad and not immediately releasing it unharmed (as in no photos or measurements being advisable if you are attempting to release unharmed) is important since they are on the threatened list. None of these fish take handling well at all. Trout are much more accepting of handling. Likewise for the blueback herring that are present with respect to quick release, although they have no particular special status other than being illegal to harvest, which makes it necessary to release them unharmed.

For members of these species you need to hustle them off of the hook and immediately get them back in the water facing into the current. Better yet, unhook them in the water. With the exception of Gizzard Shad, putting them into dead water with no current is not a good idea and they may just sink to the bottom. Of course you would need to know that you had a Gizzard Shad and not a herring or other shad in hand if you were going to release it into still water.

Question with the shad, I took my daughter to a lake in my township in NJ yesterday the creek feds right into the Delaware river. The area I had her fish was below a spill way, I saw a guy across from me catching what look like shad from a distance. would shad be running that far up to the spillway?

Thanks Chef

Back