seven-foot, five-weight fly rod

R

rrt

My old 7-ft., 5-wt. fly rod is probably about due to break. I have looked online to see if I could find a similar rod. Is there no such thing as a 7-ft, 5-wt. fly rod being made any more?

(I like mine for nymphing on small, brush-choked streams.)

Rich.. I'll send you a PM here shortly about a possibility.

Have you looked at the Fenwick Aetos. You can get it in a 7ft 5wt. Trident Fly Fishing has them on there website.

Another rod that is available in a 7ft 5wt is the Greys GR60. You can also find that rod at Trident Fly Fishing.

Thank you. I am going to look at Trident right now.

salvelinus wrote:
Might be hard to find, but a Fenwick FF705 would be perfect.
Or the older FF70.

Update: Trident didn't have either and noted I'd have to backorder one -- we know what that means in Covid time.

I checked what Afish linked, and that's a temptation; but I'm so hard or rods on the brushy streams, I'd probably break it.

I found an Art Weiler bamboo of the right specs, but I' probably be afraid to actually use it.

I'll hope my present rod keeps going for a while. If I break it, I do have an old Fenwick 706 that I could put a 5-wt line on.

Thanks for the suggestions.

rrt

If I recall this right...isn't the old Orvis Far and Fine a 5 wt around 7ft? I even have one somewhere .

The old Orvis 5 wt. Far and Fine is 7' 9". At least that's what mine is. I believe I got mine somewhere around 1980. Jeez, long time ago!

Mine was a relatively inexpensive Rocky Mt. rod.

rrt- I have a Far and Fine and believe I may also have a Green Mountain Orvis of that same size.

Any of yinz want to sell your Far N Fine?

Maybe rrt will buy it. If not, maybe I will.

I've never owned one, but I've cast them a few times, and liked how they cast.

I would actually part with either of my rods, the Green Mountain or the official Far and Fine. Anyone can feel free to contact me. I recall my Orvis Far and Fine was made in 1979 I think. It is a smooth caster with some backbone. I have always been a fan of these somewhat slower action rods. I mainly fish a Winston, older model, for that same feel.

Why not just pick up a dirt cheap 6'6" eagle claw in 4 weight and over-line it to a 5? Then, if you break it is so cheap. Or how about the Cabela's CGR 7'6" 5 weight? I know neither one is exactly what you asked for but......they are both economical.

Quite a few of the 7" / 7'6" 5wt or 5-6wt vintage fiberglass rods on the auction site fish very well, especially when balanced with a vintage reel. The notion that older glass rods are 'tomato stakes' comes from the many poor quality 8'6" hardware store rods that were sold in the day. Many 7' and 7'6" "name-brand" vintage glass rods have a healthy following for very good reason.

I'm waiting to see what Lark. finds. If he finds a couple, I would defer to t/bert for a far-and-fine, since I'd mainly use it for nymphing on small to mid-size brushy brooks and creeks.

Again, thanks to all.

I'm working on it. I got them out. I'll give you guys a good deal just want to send pictures next

Might just want to meet and you can see and test them out?

Back