Set up for Musky

caddisflyer

caddisflyer

I am interested in getting into flyfishing for Musky. Any thoughts on rod, reel, leader and flies would sure be appreciated. Have caught a few on spinning and big baitcasting set up using lures and also plenty of follows. Something tells me large flies might just trigger a strike. Would be interested to hear if others are flyfishing for them also.

I think Ben at least mentioned his setup in this one.

Check out Chippewa river custom predator series in a 10 or 12wt

I'm thinking a 12wt 9ft, something that can move a fly that has the profile of a soccer ball. A slower action 12wt that you can really dig into. If I got into Muskie myself (I don't have the attention span for that kind of fish, props to those who do though!) I'd be looking at the SAGE Payload in a higher line weight. Reel won't matter as it will just be a line holder in this regard. However, a reel with a lot of space for those thicker muskie and higher line wt lines would be nice. Get whatever you like cosmetic/weight-wise. If I were to get a Payload I'd probably get a gen 1 or 2 Hatch Fanatic in silver with red paint, but that's just the combo I'd make there are many options to choose from.

I will say I appreciate your dedication in the pursuit of muskie and I wish you well.

I didn’t want to pay the high prices for a good rod so I made my own. Bought a 10 wt 9’ from hook and hackle. Now I got a 15’ Spey that I’ll be making it’s also a 10wt.
I would get a moderate to fast tip so it helps with your hookups. Don’t buy cheap line like cabelas as it doesn’t hold up to them big fish. Rio or another top name will. But is expensive. Watch your knots as some might not hold.

As for flies I like game changers or other flies that look like fish. Bigger the better I wouldn’t go under 5”.
I run a steel leader that I make myself. I’ll attach that to 20lb mono then to line.
Reel is a behemoth redington works great for the price.

Hope this helps. I’ve caught some nice size and stop them in their place with this setup.

I didn’t want to pay the high prices for a good rod so I made my own. Bought a 10 wt 9’ from hook and hackle. Now I got a 15’ Spey that I’ll be making it’s also a 10wt.
I would get a moderate to fast tip so it helps with your hookups. Don’t buy cheap line like cabelas as it doesn’t hold up to them big fish. Rio or another top name will. But is expensive. Watch your knots as some might not hold.

As for flies I like game changers or other flies that look like fish. Bigger the better I wouldn’t go under 5”.
I run a steel leader that I make myself. I’ll attach that to 20lb mono then to line.
Reel is a behemoth redington works great for the price.

Hope this helps. I’ve caught some nice size and stop them in their place with this setup.
I have that 9'10wt from Hook & Hackle. I think I got the blank on sale for like $50. Its honestly a very nice rod.

Attachments

• 314140084_10159145166287966_4234263298026454284_n.jpg
    314140084_10159145166287966_4234263298026454284_n.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 10
  • 315106140_10159145166187966_6468473776443833867_n.jpg
    315106140_10159145166187966_6468473776443833867_n.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 12
Just a note about effort needed to catch muskellunge (mky) and their hybrids (tmky). Because of 1) the privately stocked large YOY mky/tmky and 2) a yearling stocking program developed by the PFBC later on, survival of stocked mky and tmky has greatly improved and a number of waters have developed superior populations. In such cases, angler catch rates appear to have been much better than when the phrase “fish of a thousand casts” was coined. That was certainly the case at Leaser Lake for a while and now Marsh Creek Lake has a very large population. Some of the other waters around Pa are no doubt listed on the PFBC web site under “best fishing waters - muskellunge.” I note that even the river sections with exceptional populations are highlighted on the state map of these waters. With higher mky/tmky densities you have a better chance of at least placing a lure or fly over a fish, or 2 or 3,,than you did in the past.

Last edited:
Back