Set. The. Hook.

Amen JayL. Amen.

Use streamers... Ive never missed a fish.

Really? I'd love to find a way to consistently hook fish on streamers. I consider it a good day if I hook 50% of my fish...

bam wrote:
Use streamers... Ive never missed a fish.

Really? I'd love to find a way to consistently hook fish on streamers. I consider it a good day if I hook 50% of my fish...

Same. Missing fish is the name of the game with streamers. I've found this to be the case with nearly everyone I've fished with, including guides.

Bassist,

Are you referring to trout? What size streamers do you normally throw?

jayL wrote:
LRSABecker wrote:
It is the same

Not even close. Some nymphing methods are similar, but that's the exception, rather than the rule. Many nymphing methods are the same as bait fishing in the same way that a sunday drive is the same as driving in a nascar race.

As someone who's not a master of either, I see why someone would say they're the same... A natural looking food, moving at a natural rate, in an area teh fish expects it, no?

The difference is with bait they'll smell it and look for it, grab it and taste it, and chew on it a little longer so you can be a little less lightening fast than with the artifical nymph.

No?

That's one facet. Another is more easily explained by looking into the staggering variety of nymphing tactics. Many of them take advantage of multiple flies (I have never seen a multi-hook rig in stream baitfishing for trout), as well as the hydrodynamic properties of fly line and leader to create presentations (rising, falling, swinging, etc).

And that's before one even considers something like a dry/dropper rig, or various forms of european nymphing.

But, at its core, even with an advanced form such as European nymphing, we're dealing with the same core: A natural-appearing lure, or bait, being presented in a way that makes it look like it belongs.

I'm conviently dropping the bobber part of his comment because I think that's a lightening rod. I know when I went out with my brother in law recently and he handed me an egg sack for stockies, I treated them no differently than I would if I were trying to high stick a heavy nymph.. Tight leader, through a pocket, and feel for the take.

The difference is that you just have to wait for them to nosh those eggs a few versus a subtle sip of the nymph. I thought it'd be great training for me, if I were motivated to learn, to identify takes and fish vs objects.

I used to use floating grasshoppers and crickets for bait.

Where's the line drawn?

I see it as a silly comparison, and it's not close enough to have any practical meaning.

Bait fishing helped me because it taught me how to read water and locate fish. I don't see much application of any other skills.

One time, when trout fishing with my unenlightened buddy (he's a bait fishermen) who ran out of bait (worms & minnows I think). I was catching fish left and right on nymphs. I called him over and tied on a weighted nymph to his line and told him to add a medium sized split shot 8 or so inches above the fly to have enough weight to cast it on a spinning outfit. I told him to fish it like bait, but set the hook as soon as the fish hits. He caught a whole bunch of fish using my fly....

BTW, from that day on, he always carries a few flies in his vest just in case his worms die or his minnows go belly up...lol

Geez did not mean to start an argument :) I guess all I meant to say is I enjoy dry flies to nymphs. O and the idea of useing 2 baits might work very well for me in the early spin fishing season next year :p

Fishing for trout I use size 12-8 woolly bugger.

That would be why then. Move to bigger streamers and you'll miss more fish. You'll also catch lots of larger ones.

gfen wrote:
Damnit, give me hints. I'm done. I can't do it. I get constant takes on dries, but I seem to have lost the ability to set a hook.
Seven takes, no sets. It ain't all bad timing, either.
I'm about ready to pick up golf.

...man, what a difference a year makes. I can't buy a goddamned take this spring...

lol. always something.

gfen wrote:
gfen wrote:
Damnit, give me hints. I'm done. I can't do it. I get constant takes on dries, but I seem to have lost the ability to set a hook.
Seven takes, no sets. It ain't all bad timing, either.
I'm about ready to pick up golf.

...man, what a difference a year makes. I can't buy a goddamned take this spring...

Fish somewhere there is fish and not suckers.

Suckers provide excellent sprotting opportunities.

gfen wrote:
Suckers provide excellent sprotting opportunities.

No suckers left in Crooked Creek - the agulators et 'em all. ;-)

Funny thing about royal coachmans is they don't look much like sulphurs olives caddis tricos ants or anything else trout like to eat . Might have something to do with lack of takes. Might not though!

I fish a very unusual style of my usual wulff during sulphur season.

This is the worst experience for me. I've recently gotten into dry fly fishing. I haven't caught a trout on a dry fly yet, and I hope to do so soon. I've decided to switch to dry fly fishing from nymphing because dry flies have are a more exhilarating experience if you ask me. I've gone out with an ant, and lately, I've gotten a lot of fish coming up to eat my fly, but I cannot set the hook! I went out a few days ago, first cast with an ant, and a fish comes up for it, but I pull with no fish. So I've decided to try and wait a little longer for the fish to fully inhale the fly before I pull, but that's a tough thing to do :D Once you see the fish, instinct says to PULL. Even though it's a frustrating experience, I'm gonna keep on trying 'til I pull one in :)

Fishing dries, I usually go with "Holy Crap, did you see that" on the take and then remember I'm supposed to lift the rod tip! :lol:

Back