Senko type fly

A

AFISHN

I fish a lake in Maine for sm that go crazy for senko worms fished with the wacky worm technique on spinning gear.When I fly fish there I have only moderate success.Tried San Juan n squirmy worm flies by with poor success.Does anyone have a more substantial fly pattern that looks like a 5 inch plastic worm??Or better yet where I can buy some since I don't tie.
Would probably fish it on a sink tip line with a 7 wt rod.
Thanks
Tom

Hey Tom,

I bought some Dragon Tail Material, a heavy ultra chenille material, and tied some flies up for smallies. Unfortunately, I really did not get out for smallies to test them out because of the high flows.

Since you don't tie Orvis sells the fly here > Dragon Tail

I haven't fished them yet, but they look great on the video >

like these

Attachments

• 8-2-09 009.jpg
    8-2-09 009.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 36
Maybe this. I too have yet to fish it because of the high water year. Which leaves me with my undeniable believe that it will sly SMB

Attachments

• wacky1.jpg
    wacky1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the great feedback.Will order some from Orvis and stop by. SANDFLYS' shop this Spring to load up before I head to Maine in June
Btw...are you going to fish them on a sink tip or are they weighted?

Basspro in Harrisburg carries a fly called Rich’s Superworm in a variety of colors. I’d like to try tying it but have not found the material yet.

I’ll be unpopular where and say why not just use the spinning rod. Your not going to replicate that action with a fly. There is a reason why you will catch 90 bass on a float on the susky on a senko vs 30 on a fly. I just think it’s more fun on a fly. To each his own.

I did a lot of bass fishing this past season, primarily for LMB but also some smallies, with a simple Estaz worm fly. Conehead up front, a wound estaz body and the same piece of estaz extended off the back however long you want the tail to be. I used primarily the Grande size Eztaz to get the bigger profile, but also made a lot by simply doubling over the estaz tail and tying it off at the end with a few wraps and a dot of superglue. Put a couple wraps of same or similar color marabou right behind the cone and away you go.

They aren't the most exciting things to fish (a little like watching paint dry..) but lifted slowly while fished on a sink tip, they catch a lot of bass.

Easy Peasy...

Kinda like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thPH7DiexN8

Let me know before you come up and what colors you want, and if you want them with the (spines)

They sell mop fly material in long strands now that should be good for a Senko . Gulley worm is a great worm pattern to try out for this as well .

HopBack wrote:
I’ll be unpopular where and say why not just use the spinning rod. Your not going to replicate that action with a fly. There is a reason why you will catch 90 bass on a float on the susky on a senko vs 30 on a fly. I just think it’s more fun on a fly. To each his own.

Yep.

There's certain things you can do with spinning tackle you can't do with fly gear and vice versa.

PennKev wrote:
HopBack wrote:

Yep.

There's certain things you can do with spinning tackle you can't do with fly gear and vice versa.

^ no doubt true. I find it fun and a challenge to try to catch fish on flies in all kinds of conditions. Bass can be a real challenge in particular.

I've tried quite a few flies to try to replicate the success spin anglers have with plastic baits in particular. The dragon tail flies looked interesting to me, but like I posted, last season the conditions never allow me to give them a good test. Looking forward to trying them out this season.

The action on the dragon tails is pretty cool. I plan on giving them a try this year also.

feathercraft has them.

https://www.feather-craft.com/rich-s-ultimate-worm

I'm shocked at the price. $3 for a 6 inch section of chenille on a bass hook. Wow!

MKern wrote:
I'm shocked at the price. $3 for a 6 inch section of chenille on a bass hook. Wow!

yes,especially since that hook is fairly inexpensive.

i could probably tye a hundred of these for less than $20.

MKern wrote:

Don't most box store trout flies cost the same amount

Manufacturer charges distributor 80 cents, distributor charges retailer $1.60, retailer charges customers $3ish.

Yeah, you get to $3 pretty quick.

shakey wrote:
MKern wrote:

yes,especially since that hook is fairly inexpensive.

i could probably tye a hundred of these for less than $20.

Yes, but would you sell them for less than 20 cents each?

P.s. Good texas rig worm hooks are going to cost you far more than $20 retail for 100. Cheapo hooks would even get you close to the $20 mark.

Although I haven't tried tying worms with the Orvis dragon tails, I have tied a few musky flies with them. Their action in the water is amazing not doubt. However, I cannot recommend them because they fall apart very quickly. It was extremely disappointing to see the chenille falling out from between the pieces of string that hold the tail together after casting less than 100 times. They are essentially a dubbing brush with string and chenille. Several of the flies I tied started loosing the chenille from the base of the tail, not the tip. Burning the ends with a lighter helps but you can't really burn the fat end that gets tied to the hook. I've scoured the interwebs for a solution but have yet to find one. At the Edison show over the weekend I did talk to one of the fly tiers who uses tails in his flies, about the durability issue. He said he had the same problem until he switched to a company from Oregon, that makes the tails. He said for whatever reason they are more durable and do not fall apart like the Orvis brand. Just throwing in my experience because it's sucks to spend a bunch of time tying a fly only to have it fall apart before a fish even eats it.

Back