Selling built rods?

Well that's great. Enjoy your worn out truck, your spartan fly tackle, and your general averageness. You are not a custom rod guy. Doesn't sound like you are a quality rod guy either. That's fine, but leave it at that. You're not going to convince anyone to make do with less if they don't want to.

Yea I'd disagree. Custom rod builders can change the guide spacing enhancing the rod for a specific reason. The factory builds will all be the same. There is also builders who can change rods completely and cut the bottom of a blank to size they want. I've also seen rods extended in the butt section. More then just an average rod. The thread colors are useless to me but there is reasons to have custom. Then there is builders who roll their own blanks to your specs.

What Pen Kev said and a couple of other said are spot on. build rods you'd use yourself, then build a couple for friends. stop by some of your most local TU Chapters or sportsmen's clubs and show them your work. You can build up some clientele that way, but I doubt you can build a business on just custom rods. The key is custom, you want them to be quality rods, and to be custom, not look like factory rods. By quality Blanks, don't buy something just because it's cheap, experienced buyers know the difference.
I don't know where you are from, but I know a guy who could teach you the how to.

I look at this similar to selling my flies. I am a novice at tying flies, so I would not sell them. However, I do enjoy tying enough to help keep my family stocked up with what they need/want for the price of nothing to buying me a beer at the bar. I will even give some to a fisherman that I happen to run into on a stream that doesnt have what is hatching.

PennKev wrote:
Well that's great. Enjoy your worn out truck, your spartan fly tackle, and your general averageness. You are not a custom rod guy. Doesn't sound like you are a quality rod guy either. That's fine, but leave it at that. You're not going to convince anyone to make do with less if they don't want to.

Who said my truck is worn out. I said it has 184k on it. It's clean, well maintained, looks great and is a pretty sweet ride. Guess you don't know what your talking about there.

Who said I have spartan fly tackle. I have everything I need and more. Don't know what your talking about again.

All my rods are quality and I treat them as such. You have no idea what rods I have, or where I got them. I may not have spent a fortune but to me they are quality rods that I will not replace. Again you don't know what your talking about.

Who's trying to convince people to make do with less. If I did it would still be better then telling him to spend all his money on fishing rods and then complain and demand that others pay for his families education and retirement. But I wasn't trying to convince anybody of anything.

I encouraged the young fellow to go for it. I did a quick word search on my two posts. who was trying to convince anybody of anything. Its called a differing opinion. Here's my word count:
My - 5
I - 14
You - 3
I'm - 2
Me - 3
Again you don't know what your talking about. If you read your own post you will see that our advice to the op is the same.

A custom rod guy does not have the money, research capabilities and equipment to out perform rod manufacturers, that's my opinion that i base on common sense. By the way rod manufacturers, sell more then one model of rod with different flexes, guides, grips and spacing, I think. BUT it is still a great hobby.

My turn to say something i know nothing about. Enjoy your tackle room while your flipping burgers when your 72.

I'd say that custom rod building is done as a form of art more so than a way to earn a living. I've built a couple and the wraps looked like they were done by someone with Parkinson's. I thought it was neat to do but I've decided that I'll leave it to the pros or factories and just buy completed rods. LOL

I was going to channel my inner pcray but then I said F it.

You were going to go 'pcray' but only had 1 toner cartridge and a single case of paper? LOL. Hit staples and reload.

I didn't want to break the internet when I hit submit.

Artists are almost never famous until after they're dead- just sayin

Now they are picking on Apt, what's the world coming to.

Back