SEEKING TROUT SPEY CASTING INSTRUCTION

Troutbum1994

Troutbum1994

I recently purchased a 2/3wt 11' microspey (switch?). I have only cast a switch rod once before, two summers ago. I have been whipping the wind with overhead casts for a decade and I'm ready to slow it down. I'm really excited about this and I want to learn well, and not pick up bad habits. I'm gonna put the time in this winter as much as I can around work.

I am more than happy to buy a couple beers or a pub dinner for anyone that is willing to give me an hour of their time on the water within throwing distance of lancaster. I would be very grateful.

I currently just have a little 240g scandi with a versitip and steelhead leader. I intend to swing soft hackle and small streamers to trout in tailwaters and the like this winter. I want to wait on skagit for now.

If there are any certified casting instructors in the area I would also be interested in that intel. Thanks all.

As a casting instructor I'm always of the opinion that the one seeking instruction should ensure that they seek out and choose an instructor who has a proven track record. This holds true even more so when it comes to seeking instruction using a two-handed rod.

My suggestion would be to go to the Fly Fishers International website and look up an instructor certified in two-handed rod instruction. It may be that you may have to travel outside the Lancaster area and possibly pay a bit more than you indicated; however, you will find the time invested, distance traveled and the expense will be worth the result.

While I am not a Certified Instructor in the FFI program I would only recommend a THCI for this type of instruction. This recommendation comes from the fact that I have taught fly casting for many years and I've encountered anglers who have paid for inferior instruction in the past.

This guy has some YouTube vids on his channel. Perhaps he'd be a source for instruction. https://youtu.be/nPe03nXOHXA

I recently went up to tight lines fly shop in north jersey and had a 3 hour lesson in Spey casting instruction with Andrew moy. I was bombing double Spey, snap t even managed to do a couple snake rolls and single spay. Three hours is enough it cost around 250 dollars.

One thing I’ve really picked up is all these cast involve body movements. Probably not the right technique but with single hand casting you can get away with just you arm and to cast line add a double haul and can really increase your distance.

With Spey it seems that you cast from your core and rock back when forming your d loop and forward when send your cast out. When start trying to use your arms the cast seems to fall apart.

The best advice I can give you is pay for a good instructor. It’s the best thing I did. I watch many videos but a instructor is the only person who can really give a head start.

Thanks for the write-up about your experience with him marcq. I was thinking of contacting him for some instruction as I feel it'd be a good tool to have for some larger water out West. I'll give him a call

Back