Seeking Big Game Rod Recommendation

D

dinkman

Hi all, I’m looking to purchase a larger game rod and need some recommendations. I have a fairly stringent budget. We’ll say $250 for the purposes of the discussion, but if it’s not reasonable for what I’m looking to do, someone let me know. I have debts to pay as a new grad from graduate school.

I have been using a cheap $50 Walmart rod for carp and smallmouth for the past year and a half and have gotten lucky they haven’t really put my gear to the test (unusual for carp, but I survived them).

But I’d like to try some saltwater, Great Lakes stuff, and continue with warm water bass/carp. With that, I need a rod/reel that I can be confident will handle these fish. Wondering if one rod combination with multiple spools for different fly lines can pull this off at my price point? Also, is it worth it or wise? (I know I might be a bit overgunned for bass)
If so, I’m looking for your recommendations from experience (both line wt/rod length and actual rod combinations/brands).

I know I’d probably like a reel with a sealed drag and interchangeable spool. A warranty on everything would be nice.
Thanks for your help, and don’t be afraid to be honest with me.

Echo ion . Good tough rod at a very reasonable price

It's very hard to beat the Lamson triple packs for a reel. I fish the Lamson Remix in 3.5 - I think now they call that 7+. You can regularly find that on Sierra trading post for around $200. The Liquid can be had for a little cheaper. I have one of those also, and it sacrifices nothing in what you're looking for. The extra spools make swapping out for a line issue super simple.

As for rods, I just picked up a 10' 8wt Douglas LRS two piece. It is a joy to fish.

My original combo for great lakes fishing was the Redington Path combo in 9wt. I've landed plenty of big fish on it. The drag isn't sealed and felt a little undergunned fighting king salmon. But it works, and would be under $200 total. I broke the rod second season I used it, and the warranty replaced it for less than $50.

Reactions: CRB
I once fished a Rise or Risen, forget the brand name, 8wt on a pond. It was a fairly decent rod with a great taper design and I had a lot of fun tossing poppers on it. I think it costs around $150. I fish mostly the high end stuff and that rod was a pleasure for me to fish with so take that for what it's worth.

Personally I'd hold off on the salt game (at least with fish that run) until you have enough money to get a quality machined (not Piscifun machined) reel, like a Hatch, Nautilus, or Tibor. If you are fishing for stripers you could go with a cheaper reel. Not saying you can't fish with other reels but if you are looking to engage some bonefish you would want a reel that can keep up with the fish and not cause line to just fly off the reel and bunch up, thus resulting in a tangle, and thus resulting in a loss of fish with the possibility of damage to the guides if the bunched up line goes into the guides. Just looking out for your best interest. I have yet to grace the saltwater with the fly but this is the information I gathered should I wish to attempt it. I am a strong believer in equipment that way any failure in a fish not landed is user error and not equipment error. It's a matter of eliminating variables. I would hate for you to go on a trip and and have a bad time due to gear failure. My rule of thumb is buy once, cry once, and that has not failed me yet. I treat the notion of saltwater like the idea of going into a hot combat zone.

Last edited:
The Cabela's Atoll seemed to be another fun one. I had the first generation that I acquired through a trade with a friend who subsequently broke it. In that instance him breaking my rod allowed me to get a current gen Atoll (second gen, the one I had initially was a first gen one) at no additional cost and trade that new rod for a SAGE VXP. Hard to remember how the Atoll cast but I think it was fun. They're good looking rods with a nice blue color to them and at $300 t seemed to be a lot of rod for not a lot of buck. They may be hard to find now as they have been discontinued for some time.

For all that stuff I would think an 8wt would be a good start. If you want a good reel the redington behemoth reel is a good one. If use in salt remember to wash the gear off as for line I would use a saltwater line.

I'll second the Douglas LRS. My son and I both have one in 9 wt coupled with older redington al reels. They are more than capable on NY king and coho salmon.

I have a never used ECHO Base combo on the swap forum. I bought it as a back up and never needed it. I have heard good reviews which is why I bought it. Looking to parlay that for a trap gun purchase which is why it is on the block.

Thank you all for the great ideas. Going to look into each of them. Keep them coming!

Back