Sebago Lake, Maine (in August...)

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

Does anyone have any insight into fishing Sebago Lake late in summer? I'll be staying on Frye Island with only intermittent access to a boat, so I'd like, hopefully, to be able to do some shore or stream fly fishing.

Internet research is telling me there might still be some trout action in the streams surrounding the lake. Is that overly optimistic? Any chance of getting salmon in the lake aside from trolling deep water?

Thanks.

I don't know that area specifically but most Maine lakes fish throughout the summer - though the Landlocks and Togue will likely be at some depth.

If there is water, then the smaller streams should fish for brookies and small land locks. try stimulaters and copper johns as a combo.

I believe the larger rivers - Crooked, Saco , Presumpscot etc will have a mix of trouts and landlocks, and in the Saco's & Presumpscot's case will have stripers too.

for detailed info go to the forum at maineflyfish dot com and flyfishinginnh dot com . I was members of both and there are plenty of good guys on both who will help you out..

also remember - if you catch a bass - KILL IT ! they are an invasive species up there.

cheers

Mark.

Check with the Maine Guide in Greenville Maine, he should be able to help you or another shop closer to Sebago Lk. I've fished in Maine during August, the streams can get pretty warm in some areas, while others stay cold. The lakes don't stay cold, if you want to catch trout and salmon you will be fishing deep unless it's a true cold water lake. I've never fished Sebago Lake, but others nearby are tough late in the summer. I did fish the river above the lake once, it was low and clear, and didn't fish well.
As long as you're up there, spend a couple of hours and get to the outlets of Moosehead lake, they will have fish hitting if you are interested in trout and salmon.

Thanks, Chaz. I talked to the guys at Trident Fly Fishing right off of Sebago, and they basically said plan on bass fishing - hot temps and low water. Oh well, I'll have some fun on the lake.

Like Moosehead, I also got a tip that trout fishing would still be good up in the Rangeley area. Unfortunately, this is a family trip, and I'm not gonna have the time to travel even further north. Bummer. I appreciate the tip though.

Back