Season's over (for me)

N

nOObmaster

Between work travel, upcoming shoulder surgery, my season is coming to an end. i started fishing last year (spin fishing), then this year I started learning fly fishing mid august. One of the reasons i got bored with spin fishing is, the entire set up was so monotonous i started to feel disconnected with it. I get bored if i sit too long in the same spot.

But with fly fishing, it allows me to hike in the mountains [I like hiking], explore new places, learning new things, trying to understand the stream flow, where to cast etc. For example, i see a fast flowing stream water and there is a tiny area i see next to it, where water is moving slowly [next to the current], i caught quiet a few fish in those spots and i was skeptical before but now i understand why. There is a lot to learn but it is a good start. I am learning things by myself [not entirely true, in this day and age, where there is youtube and plethora of information out there]. Experience trumps everything you can learn a lot but when you are out there and try things by yourself it is different.

I went out yesterday evening, ended up with a few browns [All between 11 to 13 inches], it was a good day and a good year.
PS: I handled the fish better this time, and released them quickly after snapping a pic. [still learning]

Fish01

Fish03

Maybe it's just the angle, but that fish seems to have a unique stream-lined form. Reminds me of some paintings of fish from an earlier era.

Nice browns in a nice setting! Glad you got out prior to your surgery, and hope that goes well too.

By the way, you can do all that hiking, exploring, and learning with a spinning rod too. I spin fish more than I fly fish but I can't stand to sit or stay in one spot for too long. There is something more challenging & satisfying when using a fly rod though.

Very nice fish!

Wishing you the best on your upcoming shoulder surgery including a speedy recovery.

Best wishes for your shoulder surgery.

You'll find that fly-fishing is a constant process of learning new things. I cannot imagine your becoming bored with flly-fishing.

best of luck with everything and nice browns. in 2006 i got bored of spin fishing and took up fly fishing. i never looked back minus a few striper and fluke days on a boat. but if its a river, stream, or creek its fly fishing for me

Best wishes for your shoulder surgery.

You'll find that fly-fishing is a constant process of learning new things. I cannot imagine your becoming bored with flly-fishing.
agree. i havent yet. just the tying is fun, let alone using the flys you tied to catch fish. its very addicting all around.

Between work travel, upcoming shoulder surgery, my season is coming to an end. i started fishing last year (spin fishing), then this year I started learning fly fishing mid august. One of the reasons i got bored with spin fishing is, the entire set up was so monotonous i started to feel disconnected with it. I get bored if i sit too long in the same spot.

But with fly fishing, it allows me to hike in the mountains [I like hiking], explore new places, learning new things, trying to understand the stream flow, where to cast etc. For example, i see a fast flowing stream water and there is a tiny area i see next to it, where water is moving slowly [next to the current], i caught quiet a few fish in those spots and i was skeptical before but now i understand why. There is a lot to learn but it is a good start. I am learning things by myself [not entirely true, in this day and age, where there is youtube and plethora of information out there]. Experience trumps everything you can learn a lot but when you are out there and try things by yourself it is different.

I went out yesterday evening, ended up with a few browns [All between 11 to 13 inches], it was a good day and a good year.
PS: I handled the fish better this time, and released them quickly after snapping a pic. [still learning]

View attachment 1641232999

View attachment 1641233006
Dear nOObmaster,

You ended your season with a win. Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Welcome to the site from a born and bred central NYer. I've been tying flies for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 14. Feel free to check out one of my swaps if you'd like.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery so you can pick-up where you left off! Last time I had a fish look that good with me in the picture the fishmonger was in the background! look forward to seeing your posts here.

Kim

Maybe it's just the angle, but that fish seems to have a unique stream-lined form. Reminds me of some paintings of fish from an earlier era.
I see what you mean. Kind of like the trout on china from the late 19th - early 20th century.

Nice catch. Good luck with the surgery. The post surgery is important, follow the PT regimen and you'll be fine. GG

Back