SE PA SMB

We usually do pretty good with the SMB any time we float the perky. We don't generally kayak it below spring mountain though so take that for whatever it's worth. I've heard the unami holds pretty good populations around the green lane area as well. Higher upstream it's a little more suited for trout than smallies though, but then I've never fished it above say finland road or so.

About to start targeting them again once I get a more sizeable rod this summer. Throwin poppers with the 6'6" eagle claw is a bit of a pain, maybe I'm just doing something wrong that I'm not aware of.

Smallies in SE PA is a urban myth

I'll be down that way today, maybe I'll take the flyrod out behind my buddy's and see what's bitin. You could throw a rock off 29 where it goes over the perky and hit us. We get a lot more rock bass up there than smallies usually but it's always a little mix of both.

Stripers have nothing to do with it on the Delaware. Annual young of year monitoring clearly shows that some exceptionally good year classes were immediately followed by some average to poor ones...all related to weather conditions and resulting flows during and after spawning. You are fishing over the results of avg to poor year classes at the moment. Better fishing will return. Anglers need to get away from blaming so much on water quality and predators. Fish populations vary naturally...there doesn't have to be something wrong for these variations to negatively affect fishing for a few seasons.

I had a couple really good topwater days for little hammer handles last summer. Afish was with me one day. There are fish, but they're little. I'm going to be doing some driving to get to them this summer-Upper D and VA. I can't take any more summers without some big smallies.

Mike wrote:
Stripers have nothing to do with it on the Delaware. Annual young of year monitoring clearly shows that some exceptionally good year classes were immediately followed by some average to poor ones...all related to weather conditions and resulting flows during and after spawning. You are fishing over the results of avg to poor year classes at the moment. Better fishing will return. Anglers need to get away from blaming so much on water quality and predators. Fish populations vary naturally...there doesn't have to be something wrong for these variations to negatively affect fishing for a few seasons.

All true above for the Delaware River. In fact, we should consider us lucky to have such a quality River with a diverse amount of fishing opportunities right in our back yard.

Not true for the Schuylkill River, IMO. Poor habitat/siltation and water quality issues have really made the lower part of the River less than even marginal. There are a few places where you may find some smallies, but they are becoming fewer and farther between.

A few years back the smallie population on the Delaware from Fenchtown to Stockton was excellent. Last couple of years, while I do ok, it isn't nearly as productive. Still, it's a lovely stretch of water, and since I fish toward the bank, the tubers can be a pleasant distraction.
Coughlin

SMB over 12" and SMB over 15" are on a high right now in the Delaware from Easton to Yardley as compared to the 11 yr averages between 1989 and 1999, inclusive. I chose that 11 yr period because that is the period for which the data were most readily available. It is the number of SMB less than 12" that are down to about half of the avg for those yrs. Reason: avg to poor yr classes in recent yrs related to weather conditions during and after spawning. It has nothing to do with predators!!!!!

I have had marignal luck this year with SMBs on Nashiminy as well as PennyPack creek. Even the numbers have dropped this year. I caught one two pounder at Penny with a top water popper real close to the shoreline. And had one decent one on at Nashiminy just up from the Mills road bridge, but lost it. White or chartruce worked good. I think I may step over to the del and have a go at it.

I have my theories on the increased catch of trout and stripers from Easton to New Hope but would like to hear Mike's take on it.

Can't explain the trout unless you would have specified the stretch from Upper Black Eddy to Easton, a stretch that receives wild browns from a number of tribs plus possibly stockies from NJ stockings and possible private hatchery escapement.

The stripers of the size most frequently being caught are from a large year class. Fear not, that population will be much smaller in the summer non tidal Del R in one to two years when a very weak year class dominates. Then you will be asking where all of the stripers are. So, I've now saved you the trouble of asking....you already know the answer.

Have to disagree on stripers not eating SMB's. If a school of small smb swims by and Mr. striper is in the eating mode he will suck in a mouthful. seen it happen above stockton bridge on 6" bass..

Back