SE Opening day blow out?

laszlo

laszlo

With 1-2 inches of rain arriving Fri. Do you think that will blow out most of the streams for Sat? Might keep away the one time a year anglers.

1 inch no. It'll make em' just right probably. 2 inches, yeah, that's a blowout. Some of the reports I've seen are showing less though.

Just got back from outside. I swear I saw a couple fish rising in the parking lot.

It's headed your way.

I parked on a relatively high spot.

In my area they are calling for one-and-a-half to two inches. My guess is the streams will be blown out. My real concern is how are these fish going to be utilized the first day if the water's too high

I like to throw big meat on opening day in blow out conditions. The palomino breeders absolutely explode on Gallup articulated patterns in the seams and soft spots in high muddy water. It will be ON at either Ridley or white clay creek. After I utilize my limit I'll probably head to valley for some wild trout with my 8 weight and some sex dungeons.

Kray2, hope your shoulder is better so you can back row if I hook bottom or a really big Brown lol

My favorite stream doesn't get stocked until the 5th so that means crowded for 5 days then I can fish it!!

Paste baits and corn produce quite well in the mud, and fast water will put the trout in the small back eddies along the banks. Some anglers who avoid the aforementioned conditions can be expected to head to the lakes. Still others will wait until later in the day to hit a stream that starts to clear off faster than most others.

What do you guys use when it's high like that? Especially with freshly stocked fish?

Paste baits and kern! LOL..

Let's hope we can be a little more creative.

Try a 2-3" black or purple wooly bugger in the back eddies like mike suggested. Also large glow bugs and fluorescent sticks (think green weenies). Leave the niblets and play dough for the seniors and kids.

I've had lots of success last year around this time on y2ks in size 12

Yes, the streams will be blown out. Not a bad thing. More fish will survive and we are making a little progress on our rain deficit.

Use a big old mop fly in the eddies. I will be home drinking coffee, but if it clears later, I have an ATW down the street. My son and I may take a walk. Black or purple buggers or a big old muddler, too.

Blowout or not this is going to be my 40th straight year of getting out opening day so I will be out. I don't care if I catch just like to get out and listen to the whining , crying and wild fish stories from others. And then also my flask of Jim Beam when I get back to the truck. Life is good.

The responses all seem good. Yesterday I was walking and bird watching along a Special Regs area after pulling in a token trout (don't enjoy fishing in the high cold water much anymore) and all the successful anglers were fishing black buggers in eddies close to shore. One guy lost his last black bugger and changed to an olive one and was still catching fish. Just saying.

BTW, flycatchers are back in streamside bushes waiting for the hatch.

Paste bait????

That sounds like a very technical, chemical approach...

I like to use my huge cast net and pitch fork.

Sometimes if you are really athletic you can get your net right under the fish when they are jumping out of the bucket trucks!!!!

Streams are already a little elevated in the Lehigh Valley, a pleasant change for the past 6 months. This rain will make the 100% blow out. I don't think they'll crest their banks but they'll be bank full and messy. I'm loving it though. It's been so dry for so long.

I washed both my vehicles Monday night. You're welcome (but I'd gladly wash them every week if it meant we had ample rain this year).

Zak wrote:
Streams are already a little elevated in the Lehigh Valley, a pleasant change for the past 6 months. This rain will make the 100% blow out. I don't think they'll crest their banks but they'll be bank full and messy. I'm loving it though. It's been so dry for so long.
I agree. I just hope NC also gets a good dose, they need it badly as well. There's another batch of heavy rain coming on Tues of next week. Well take it!

salmonoid wrote:
I washed both my vehicles Monday night. You're welcome (but I'd gladly wash them every week if it meant we had ample rain this year).

Story of my life.

Water levels never dropped in western PA over the summer because I wash my truck like 3 times a week.

Back