scuds

rhbuilds

rhbuilds

i just started tying scuds and have a question, what end is the head? i was taught that the head is at bend of hook but see videos that there head is at hook eye. is there a difference/does it matter?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 9
Depends on the pattern. You can tie the head at the bend, such as the fly you posted, or you can put it at the eye, like the vast majority of scud imitations.

I would think you would want the head at the bend of the hook. Since scuds are basically shrimp and swim backwards

daman1277 wrote:
I would think you would want the head at the bend of the hook. Since scuds are basically shrimp and swim backwards

Correct.
In the fly you've tied, the scud's head would be represented by the bulbous end at the bend of the hook.
Very nice tie.

I'm a big fan of tying weighted flies and bead heads. But, when tying scuds on a curved scud hook, I often skip the weight because it will often flip the fly upside down in the water. The fly pictured in the OP will ride upside down.

ui use alittle lead wire in the underbody, i tried something different with those fake eyes. those ones are too big.i caught a bow on it already though.

that fly being tied on a curved shank and with epoxy on top will flip by the way..
here is a scud picture along with a pattern I use.

Attachments

• scud.jpg
    scud.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 3
  • scud 2.jpg
    scud 2.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 3-26-07 008a.jpg
    3-26-07 008a.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 3
How well does it work sandfly? Nice tie by the way.

very well JU. I have several scud patterns I use because they are different colored and striped in pa. That one is from the bucks co./ lehigh co. area. A spring creek up here is totally different than other places and Pine has a real fresh water shrimp in it. Scuds swim forward not backwards like a shrimp.

Sandfly,

That looks like it also rides upside down. Does it? If not, did you do anything to make it that way?

theres no weight on top (epoxy) its a mustad 37160 sz. 12 -16 it rides upright. I test a lot of flies in water standing and running

Does it really matter if a scud is upright? I'd think if they get pushed out into the current they'd tumble anyway and fish probably see just as many upside down as upright. I have no observation to back that up but just a thought.

I personally don't worry about it. If super realism is the desire, I guess it matters. I'm relatively certain that it does not, at least for my purposes.

Back