Scientific Anglers System 4 Fly Reel. Anyone have one?

krayfish2

krayfish2

I got one on clearance and here’s my thoughts. The reel is made by Ross in the same facility that makes Ross reels in Colorado. The appearance is pretty slick and simple. For the retail price tag of $250-$275, you get a machined reel with a drag like you’d find on Ross products. Smooth when taking in line and quality / strong drag when needed. It’s not feather light like many reels on the market but if you can’t handle a 4-6 ounce reel, go work out.

So, I love the reel…….right? NOPE. I spooled it with a new textured GPX line and headed to the Delaware. Pretty quickly, a fish was hooked and I’d get a real world application of the reel. The rainbow bolted, slack line went screaming off the boat floor and out the guides. To avoid burned fingers, I just let him run and I’d fight him off the reel. Got the fish in, he saw the net and off to the races again……kinda. If “off to the races” means your reel looks like a bowl of spaghetti, then I was in business. When the fish ran, line came out of the reel between the frame / spool and the line guide / spool. I was able to resolve the issue and still land the fish but not without a nick or two in a brand new line.

Buying one of these reels is like getting a model as your girlfriend only to find out she’s got PTSD, suffers 8-15 psychotic episodes per day and has colitis. You might want to run. I called SA to see what they could tell me about the issue. “Yeah, I’ve seen some of those come back in because the spool doesn’t seat properly and allows line to escape around the frame”. So this is something that the company knew about which might be why reviews of this product were difficult to find. My conversation with the consumer service department gave me the impression that it’s not all of the reels but just some batches suffer this problem. Why not recall the bad batch of reels or pull the entire line off the market?

SA had me return the reel for review which takes about 3 days. They will then reach out to me with their resolution. Well, they got the reel 2 weeks ago along with a note that included my name, address, cell # and 2 email options. Not a peep from them which is disappointing. I had to call them 15 times this morning to get a person on the phone. The person on the phone verified that the item was received and they’d be sending out a replacement line. I said “Hold up. I sent in a reel only. Yes, the reel caused a brand new line to get damaged. Are you repairing the reel, replacing the reel and will you be replacing the line?” The CSR told me that I’ll need to speak to Tim(?)…..but Tim is off today. Supposedly, Tim will be calling me tomorrow to review the situation. The preliminary determination is that the reel will be replaced with one of the current models (Voltage Fly Reel). Hopefully they will treat me right but the calls I’ve made don’t leave me feeling real positive. I’d like them to replace my line while they’re at it but I’m not betting that will happen.
Anyone have one of those Voltage reels from SA? No reviews on this model either. Surely doesn’t give me a good feeling.

Yikes...I hope you get your replacement reel and not just tossed around. They should make it right and if not, I would contact Ross maybe to see if they can help you out since they manufactured it.

That's kind of surprising. SA had a pretty good reputation with service and I figured it would continue when orvis bought them. Not super surprised about the reel, I'm not really impressed with ross. I bought a cla 6-7 years ago and it was a pos. It worked fine but just felt cheap. Their other reels kind of look like the rims that keep spinning when you stop. I fish cfos and sage 500s though so I'm biased against disk drag reels. I do think sa makes the best line and I really like the textured gpx for wind and throwing bigger flies. I'd bet they make good and replace your line.

Ross reels are owned and made by Abel.

http://www.rossreels.com/news/mayfly-group-acquires-ross-reels-from-orvis/

Correct (kind of). Orvis bought SA and Ross from 3M, then Orvis sold Ross to Mayfly (which also owns Abel). Mayfly is a small reel conglomerate which owns Abel, Ross, and Charlton (similar to Far Bank which owns Sage, Redingtion, Rio).

When the SA system 4 reels were made, they were made in CO by Ross. Ross reels are still made in CO, they are not made or owned by Abel, but Ross and Abel are owned by the same company (Mayfly). Abel's reels are made in CA.

I have 2 evolutions and they are great. The Galvan I have seems to be more heavy duty construction though. Recently went to Lamson with the last couple of purchases. You could play street hockey with the reel and the go fish with it.

Also, the guy from SA would call me first thing in the morning. They opened at 8am and no call yet. Under promise and over deliver makes people happy as compared to over promise and under deliver.

Andy i enjoyed your rant...I had a very similar experience with the same exact reel this Spring on a Chesapeake Bay stripped bass:Looks good,acts good on my kitchen table,but failed when I needed it.

Sent it back a few days ago to the manufacturer to figure it out.

Well, what appeared to be a disaster in the making ended up with a very satisfied customer. It was a little painful to get the right person but when I did, we had a long talk. He even called me back after hours with his resolution.

Tom,
I'll suggest patience (which I didn't exhibit) and you will be taken care of.

I figured it would end well.

My replacement arrived today. SA sent me their new model Ampre Voltage. The first thing I did was check the fit of the spool and it fit like a glove. Sealed and stacked disk drag (I believe). The guy told me it was tested for over a year prior to releasing it and the drag is the same as in the Hydros reel models. I think this reel will work just fine. They also enclosed a new textured sharkwave line for me to try and replace the line that got pinched by the old reel.

It was a sad story that ended happily. I look forward to trying the textured sharkwave in GPX taper as I never would have gotten one on my own. Anyone fish one or have feedback?

Back