Schuylkill River

Berks

Berks

Can anyone recommend a good place for smallmouth ffing on the Schuylkill? I will be wading.
Preferably upstream of Pottstown.
Thanks.

Long time ago I used to like to fish between Shoey and Mohrsville. Closer to Mohrsville. I caught them on white streamers. There were a ton of them in there.

The river park in Birdsboro is a decent place. Its easy wading, decent flow. Alittle tight on the back cast, but doable.

I know where Birdsboro is, not sure about the river park location. I have fished the Gibraltar area the last two summers with the spinning rod with little success. Maybe I'll have to spend a little more gas money and head further upstream.

I ahve no expereince in fishing the schuykill for SM Bass. However i did some digging and found this. I know the article is 2 years old but my serve your purpose.

http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=51459

Here is the text i think might help. If it doesnt i apologize in advance.

The Berks County sites are located along River Road in Muhlenberg Township and below the Cross Keys Bridge off Route 61. The Montgomery County site is located in Bridgeport, south of Norristown, near the Pennsylvania Turnpike overpass.

I probably wouldn't travel to fish as far south as Phoenixville if I were you, but I've got into some decent fish there. Quite a few of 2lb fish and there's some broken water to dead drift and swing streamers...

That's a good article. Those fish they were mentioning two years ago should be a nice size by now. I'm sure this year's weather hasn't helped.

The Schuykill river is a great smallie water.I fish it a few times each year.But I'm not posting exactly where....thats part of being an angler/hunter to find these places.

Rat - The term "great smallie water" is pretty relative. From what I've read about the Schuylkill river and seen myself, I'd classify it fair to good at best. Definitely not great.

I'm not looking for a fishing hole, I'm looking for a town or area.

Okay,lets just say there are sections of it that are great. :-D Now I can PM you with a name of a town near some of the better water.

Back