Schuylkill River Smallmouth

with the water temps as high as they are and low flows=low O2, my past expereince has been the SM go up vallley and fishing at the dam is pretty good. I have not done it yet to find out, but should be a good test to see if the bass are still around or just gone entirely. I've also heard mixed reports, where some guys are still having high number days and it boils down to knowing where the fish are and what they want - I got a nice 18" and one 8" SM in the sanatoga area they other night and a few panfish in the mix.

Concentrate in the head of pools with good amount of turbulence before the pool (yes, like trout). Stay in the shade if you can, or early morning. The Skook is not dead. Just stated to fish for SM this summer and have been averaging 5-6 an hour on several sections near Reading. Most around 6-10" a few over 12.

I work streamers including Clousers downstream at a 40 degree angle or so. So I am giving both a swing and a "jigging" upstream.

I hope this helps.

SMB reproductive succes was extremely poor throughout the Schuylkill R. last year (see link) and was poor in 2010 in roughly the lower half of the river from Union Township Park, Berks Co, located below Birdsboro, downstream to Bridgeport, the most downstream sampling site. Best sites in the lower river were Bridgeport and Kinnelworth (Topath Park). Upstream from Birdsboro, starting at Fritz Island, below Reading, and continuing up to Port Clinton, reproductive success was very good.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/fisheries/afm/2009/6x08_26schu.htm

Thanks Mike, I sent you question via PM on a non-related topic.

Back