Schuylkill Co yesterday

vealboy

vealboy

Fished the Ltl Schuylkill yesterday,wanted to fish Cold Run but it was iced over.Thought I'd share a few pics.

Attachments

• SAM_1505.JPG
    SAM_1505.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 17
  • SAM_1508.JPG
    SAM_1508.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 9
  • SAM_1512.JPG
    SAM_1512.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 10
  • SAM_1510.JPG
    SAM_1510.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 11
  • SAM_1504.JPG
    SAM_1504.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 9
yo vealboy I fished a tiny steep stream around there fri and the ice wasn't too bad

Nice pictures.

Wow hold over. Don't think they stocked it there this fall.

This was Cold Run Sunday morning.I really like the ice coming off the side of the hill.

Attachments

• SAM_1500.JPG
    SAM_1500.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 8
  • SAM_1501.JPG
    SAM_1501.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 7
  • SAM_1513.JPG
    SAM_1513.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 9
  • SAM_1514.JPG
    SAM_1514.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 8
Vealboy, nice pics, how was the catching?

Did you dabble with the spin gear on this trip or stick with fly rod the whole time?

Does anyone know the specific location or close thereto of the second photo (1508) of the Little Schuylkill shown above? You will note a considerable deposit of iron precipitate occurring. I am wondering if this is something new or if this is an ongoing problem at this location and the surrounding vicinity. Note that if the site is upstream from Locust Creek's confluence but downstream from Rt 54, it is not too surprising. It would also not be too surprising if it is upstream from Rt 54. If it is between Locust Creek and the north end of Tamaqua, then it is something that I did not quite expect. If it is a specific mine acid/iron seep in any of those stretches, however, then we did not know about it If you don't wish to broadcast the location, then feel free to PM me. I would like to know if this is a generalized problem occurring over quite some distance or if it is a localized problem in the river. I would also like to know where this problem spot is located.

Those pics were taken between Locust Cr and the tunnel.Caught 8 browns and 2 brookies all wild.I was using a black BHWB and drifting worms.I carry a fly and spinning rod with me always.Here's a few pics taken above Rt 54 this past Nov.

Attachments

• SAM_1365.JPG
    SAM_1365.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 9
  • SAM_1368.JPG
    SAM_1368.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 9
  • SAM_1372.JPG
    SAM_1372.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 8
vealboy wrote:
Those pics were taken between Locust Cr and the tunnel.Caught 8 browns and 2 brookies all wild.I was using a black BHWB and drifting worms.I carry a fly and spinning rod with me always.Here's a few pics taken above Rt 54 this past Nov.

I love the section above 54, but the last time I fished it, it must have been an off day, I caught nothing. The water was a bit high though.

Is the section above 54 where those pics were taken being lime dosed? It kind of looks like it from those pictures.

Honestly I don't think so, but there is a dam and reservoir above that may have some capacity for buffering. I've heard there is treatment , but have never seen it. About a mile above where those oics are taken the river is dead.

There is some AMD treatment but I don't know about liming.Yes Chaz that section can be tough,I've caught no fish there plenty of times.But they are there,as I recall the PFBC stocked fingerlings there years ago.The green color comes from,as I understand it,is metals in the water,if you look at the rocks in the water you see what looks like plants until you touch them,they just dissolve.Still Cr Res is a tailwater and helps keep this section cool in the summer.

The river supports brook trout reproduction from Neifert Ck downstream. Still Ck does not fully enhance the river and is largely beneficial only when Still Ck reservoir is being used to provide cooling water for Limerick nuclear power plant, and that occurs only under certain flow and temperature conditions in the main Schuylkill R at Limerick during certain portions of the summer.

When I was a kid I used to ice skate on the impoundment created by Felix Dam on the Schuylkill near Reading. At that time the river was that milky green color, which I later learned was the product of suspended clay particles and the refraction of light.

I must add this stream to my list of streams to explore.

The problem with PA, like Montana, is there are so many delightful trout streams that one wishes to visit that it makes deciding upon which one to fish extremely difficult.

Mike,here's 3 more pics taken the same day.

Attachments

• SAM_1506.JPG
    SAM_1506.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 9
  • SAM_1511.JPG
    SAM_1511.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 9
  • SAM_1509.JPG
    SAM_1509.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 9
That looks like a pretty cool stream to explore. Nice pics V.

Back