Say goodbye to trout fishing on the Delaware if this happens

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Posted on May 27, 2017 at 11:16 AM

BY STAR-LEDGER GUEST COLUMNIST Chris Wood

Chris Wood is the president and CEO of Trout Unlimited.

The rhythm of fly-fishing tends to cause your mind to wander. What's for dinner? Will my son pitch in Saturday's game? Not so on the Upper Delaware River in the Catskills. The Big D is a western river, and yet it is somehow only a couple of hours away from the bustle of Essex County where I grew up.

This river demands focus like maybe no other. Cast, mend your line, watch. Lift. Cast, mend, watch. Watch, carefully. These are no ordinary trout. Here there be monsters. These are street-smart, burly fish in fast-moving water. Suddenly the fly disappears, and when you lift your rod, there at the end of your line, tenuously, is a very big trout.

There are other eastern rivers that offer large, wild fish. None of them offer the same combination of eye-popping beauty, big water, and nearly 80 miles of river where you can land (or miss) the trout of a lifetime.

But this month, an arcane dispute over New York City and New Jersey water supplies threatens the delicate ecosystem that makes the Big D's wild trout so special. It's not just a bunch of trout at stake. This is a fishery that injects millions of dollars into the economies of New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania every year. One study pegged its value to the regional economy at $414 million.

Without an agreement before midnight on May 31, these valuable trout will face the lethal combination of low flows and high temperatures.

The Delaware River - recreation and reservoirs - is in imminent danger.

A May 31 deadline looms for the management of the river's water reservoirs. New Jersey and three surrounding states can't agree so old pre-conservation rules will kick in.

At issue are releases from the Upper Delaware reservoirs, which provide a major share of New York City's water, and at the same time supply cold, clean flows that make the river's thriving wild brown and rainbow trout fishery possible in the first place.

In 1954, a Supreme Court decree that settled a dispute over how many hundreds of millions of gallons could be diverted from the basin daily for New Jersey and New York City public water supply needs. Since then, the city and the four states in the basin have worked together to set intricate rules dictating how much water is released into the river every day.

In recent years, the parties have reached interim agreements to take important--though incremental--steps to protect the trout fishery and address drought and flooding concerns.

Even so, the needs of the fish are often an afterthought. Exhibit A are the dreaded "yo-yo" flows. One day you'll find the water extending from bank to bank, with rising fish sucking down hatching mayflies. The next, with releases severely reduced, you'll find the fish trapped in shallow reaches and the bugs stranded, high and dry, on exposed river beds. In hot summer months, stream temperatures become deadly to trout if the flow is not supplemented with cold reservoir releases.

Now, things are about to get even worse.

When the temporary agreement expires next week, the river will be managed under rules that date to the 1980s. There will be no answer for "yo-yo" releases, and the Big D's wild trout will have to survive the summer with just a fraction of the cold water they normally get.

It does not have to be this way: Experts say there is more than enough water to go around.

Out west, they say, "Whiskey is for drinking, and water is for fighting." That sentiment should not apply here. This is not an and/or situation. It is possible to meet the water needs of New York City and New Jersey at the same time we provide for a fishery on the verge of becoming something truly great and an economic driver for the whole region.

The only question is whether our elected leaders will continue to represent their narrow, parochial interests, or come to the table in good faith and negotiate with the best interests of the region in mind.

Link to source: http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/05/say_goodbye_to_trout_fishing_on_the_delaware_if_t.html#incart_river_home

Who's going to blink first?????

The trout

Unfortunately, I think you are probably right. Correct me if I'm wrong but fudr was in favor of this maneuver, has their stance changed?

A more detailed article discussing the release agreement and the possible consequences of it not being renewed or amended by June 1st:

http://www.delawarecurrents.org/ffmp-renewal.html

Well Crap! I'll be leaving Friday to go up there for 6 days of fishing on the west branch. I'll probably be there for some epic/tragic water event when the spigot is shut off or something.

I hope I don't bring any bad luck. There is some rain expected over the next few days. Hopefully the "powers that be" can come to an understanding while there still is a bit of water going over the dam.

Me too troutpoop.

Heading up early thursday morning , supposed to float with a guide on Thurs. I'm really hoping it will be one of these deals where they come to an agreement at the last minute and avoid this silliness. I plan on going up either way at this point

Good article afish, thanks for posting

Not to interrupt the hand-wringing, but reversion to the Revision 1 plan does not guaranty that harm will come to the fishery at this time of year.

I've not fished the Delaware River, though I understand why people fish it.

A tail water is an artificial fishery and, in most, if not in all cases, a happy accident of man's interruption of nature. In this case it sounds like the fishery is not the intended purpose of the reservoir. So when the fish are not put first, it should not be a surprise, it should be expected. "Man giveth, and man can take it away".

The article is a "call to arms" to get people to get involved to support the fishery aspect in the decision.

Now knowing how these situations usually go, they'll most likely cut a deal and the fishery will be fine.

I understand the sentiment and point of view BrookieChaser. Its become my happy place I go to one or two times per year.
Fortunately I have other places too but it would be a shame to see the fishery damaged with all the businesses and small economies that reply upon it.

Troutpoop, I understand your view as well. I hope you anglers, and the businesses, get to keep your fishery.

I think the letter is a positive for that cause. The revenue from the fishery is your bargaining chip.

I guess as someone who's income is based on the weather, I'm fully aware of the foundation of my business. I know it can go south quickly. I expected those that rely on this system, for both pleasure and business, know its foundation as well.

JackM wrote:
Not to interrupt the hand-wringing, but reversion to the Revision 1 plan does not guaranty that harm will come to the fishery at this time of year.

My hands are wringed raw.........but for good reason. The release mandated in the absence of renewing or revising the current agreement is 45cfs.

See Table 1 / Column 2 in the chart found in the link > https://water.usgs.gov/osw/odrm/releases.html

Below is the current flow which is actually below normal for the date and I believe water is still flowing over the dam.

A 45cfs release will not even cover the rocks in the river margins and would likely only be enough flow to fill the main channel.

Hey Jack, you could go up there and brag you can cast all the way across the Delaware River.......and not be lying!!

I'm an optimistic person like BrookieChaser :-o and believe the parties will resolve this issue in the 11th hour.

Attachments

• Current Flow Stilesville.jpg
    Current Flow Stilesville.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 3
"The release mandated in the absence of renewing or revising the current agreement is 45cfs."

Has someone promised not release more than the minimum mandate?

JackM wrote:
"The release mandated in the absence of renewing or revising the current agreement is 45cfs."

Has someone promised not release more than the minimum mandate?

Perhaps the above is too technical to comprehend for the lay person.

As written above....if the current agreement is not renewed unanimously (or an entire new agreement is drafted and receives unanimous approval) the release agreement reverts back to the original agreement (Revision 1) which is in force in the absence of reapproval of the current revision which must be renewed on a year-to-year basis to regulate the flow under those guidelines.

If the above seems too complicated, refer back to my original explanation:roll:

A minimum mandate does not guaranty that is all that will be released. What am I missing?

No, the flow will not be cut to 45cfs later this week, but the release schedule (Revision 1) written and used in 1977 and permanently adopted in 1983 is woefully inadequate to protect the Upper river as a coldwater tailwater fishery.

How do I know? I fished the River at that time...it was a circle quirk!

Yo yo releases up down really-up and way-down, high cold water releases wasted when it could have been conserved, and warm water conditions at critical times for no good reason.

One day you'd wade in your skivvies and sneakers and the next you'd need neoprene chest-highs over your woolrich pants...

The current flow regime was not perfect but it [d]has[/d] had come a long way to maintain decent conditions for the trout most of the time.

This whole situation is a big step backward. A real shame for all those that fish the D River, and a disaster for those that depend on a thriving river for their income like motels, shops, gas stations, etc.

441 million is the regional impact of the fishery on the economy (bit of slush in any of those estimates, and poorly labeled - is that an annual number?).

What is the annual $$ value of the water supplied to NYC?

afishinado wrote:

I'm an optimistic person like BrookieChaser :-o

Hahaha!

Back