Save the Laurel Highlands

albud1962

albud1962

Chestnut Ridge TU is gravely concerned that we may "loose" Laurel Hill Creek and its tributaries as cold water fisheries. We are requesting any assistance or guidance that you may provide the Chapter to prevent further degradation of Laurel Hill Creek and its tributaries from occurring. Consider the following:

Laurel Hill Creek has recently been listed on the American Rivers 2009 Most Endangered Rivers (See www.americanrivers.org) for some of the following reasons:

Too many competing water users are depleting the springs and base flow of Laurel Hill and some of its tributaries. Currently 2.01 million gallons of water are withdrawn from both surface and ground. The “safe” amount that could be allowed is 1.4 million gallons/day.

A water supply permit will soon be issued in the Shaffer Run area to potentially sell water to a bottling plant. This would be 108,000 gal/day more out of the system.

Laurel Hill Creek is a High Quality (HQ) cold-water fishery with Exceptional Value (EV) tributaries, which means that this stream should receive the highest protection from state and federal entities, which it currently is not receiving.

The limestone quarry in Bakersville may expand and plans to put in a deep mine in addition to the surface activity. This will alter the hydrology.

There are two coal exploration permits in the upper part of the watershed. Coal mining could also alter the hydrology.

The impending number of Marcellus and shallow gas wells are to be drilled in the watershed. Marcellus wells typically use over 3 million gallons of water to drill one well. The drillers would like to withdraw the water from Laurel Hill Creek and its tributaries. Shallow gas well drillers do not need a permit to withdraw water so there are no safeguards in place.

Again, any assistance you could provide will be greatly appreciated.

Scott Hoffman, President CRTU #670

(412) 264-8701

Is this stream by the Youg, I looked up Laurel Hill, Pa, not sure if it's your area, but Ohiopyle State is near that area, and I've seen some State Forests that protect non-contiguous land masses that area 25 miles apart, so maybe augmenting lands to state forests, parks, or game lands is a possible avenue. I'd also look into conservation easements, tax benefits, and federal programs that land owners could benefit from if they didn't sell land for development. Obviously the taboo subject is population growth, and nobody wants to talk about it in a democratic, religious society.

The problem is we have state agencies rubber stamping development in a watershed with limited water resources. Laurel Hill Creek enters the Yough at Confluence, Pa.
Its scenic nature is its downfall. Resorts have been springing up and destroying the very thing that attracts visitors to the region.

Yeah, that's the one I saw then, not sure if it's feasible to attempt to put that land into the Ohiopyle Forest. Well......it would be after someone bought it and transferred it, haha. The problem now for conservation is going to be the development of the shale and what it is going to do to land prices. Conservationist just have to become more involved in politics, because the establishment always sees the average man as poor, when in fact he would be rich with health care and access to clean water and farming. Easements seem to be the best route to protect land.

And now with this possible closing of parks, they will be used to "save" the economy when they drill, mine, and lumber them past reasonable levels. There is no such thing as new water. I think I read about the stream you speak of in the Pa Outdoor news, some man was attempting to get a permit to siphon water for bottled-water co. The article said that the water is a shadow of its former self.

Here's a link to the Chestnut Ridge Chapter website: http://www.crtu.org/

Anyone wishing to contribute to the Laurel Hill Creek Legal Defense Fund may do so by making a check out to the Laurel Hill Creek Legal Defense and sending it to the Somerset Trust Company, 4185 Glades Pke Rd., Somerset, PA 15501.

It is important to protect the coldwater tributaries that support this stream, and I support the CRTU's current effort in this regard.

I feel this stream could also greatly benefit from riparian buffers in the upper reaches of the main stream. There are far too many cow pastures creating sediment and thermal problems in the upper reaches of Laurel Hill Creek. If nothing else, efforts to increase riparian buffers could at least offset some potential loss of coldwater from the tribs to manitain what we already have.

Article in the Post-Gazette regarding Laurel Hill Creek issue:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09186/981679-113.stm

The public may comment on the Cooper Springs water-withdrawal permit application by submitting written comments to Bharati Vajjhala, Water Supply Environmental Engineer, DEP Southwest Regional Office, 400 Waterfront Dr., Pittsburgh, 15222.

Thanks, Jack. Letter's in the mail.

Ironically- the DEP's office is located on Herr's Island which is located on the Allegheny River and a short distance from downtown Pittsburgh.

There is good fishing along both sides of the island. Specifically carp.

Back