sandpaper to clean cork handles, what are some of your rod/real tips

• Thread starter glenrockonthefly
  • Start date
G

glenrockonthefly

Ok so I know this will be obvious to some of you but my grasp of the obvious can be fleeting...

So I just bought a new spinning rod and when placed along older ones I saw how dark my cork handles were, so I took some 120 grit sandpaper and had them spruced up in no time! I also like that the cork is rough now, gives a little better grip. I know i am not giving any great revelation! So...

Anyone else have any ideas to spruce up older equip, maybe retore the look of a rod or reel?

fire away

400 grit wet/dry will do a nice job of cleaning up old cork grips. As to sprucing up an old rod, you can always have the guides re-wrapped, maybe change the thread color for a new look.
Sam

I can't remember what Ed said to use as a filler but you fill in the pits and nicks. Let it dry and sand with exta fine grit. Good as new.

I use Elmers Brand wood filler in Golden Oak color to match the cork. A lot of rod builders use the same stuff.

BTW, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works great to clean up a cork handle and is not abrasive, so it won't mess up the filler in the cork.

Great info Tom. I got a few grips that are in need of some tlc.

I will have to try the Magic Eraser too. They sure take marks off a lot of other stuff. I have always cleaned my cork grips with a paste made of baking soda. Scrub them good with an old toothbrush or something similar, rinse and let dry.

I also agree that a damp magic erasure works great on cork handles and I use one to clean my fly lines as well.

Another tip that works for me is if your cork is drying out a very small amount of mineral oil (baby oil) will restore some of the original texture. Put a little on a cloth or your hands and rub on. Don't pour directly on the cork.

Shock

Soft Scrub with bleach makes it look like new

greenghost wrote:
Soft Scrub with bleach makes it look like new

Yes, and diluted comet. Sanding is slightly more abrasive. For filling nicks or divots, wood glue and fine sawdust (or cork dust)mixed to a paste.

Micro fiber towels work great as does a Wonder Cloth

i just rub them down with rubbing alcohal on a soft cloth, brings em out like new again.

Hmm I think I'll have to try this! Whats the best way to get the wood glue in as a filler without making a complete mess?

Hi Jon,

First thing you want to do is clean the cork. I like the Softscrub with bleach and a wet sponge method. Just wipe the cork gently with it, rinse well, and dry off with a towel. No need to let the cork dry completely.

Using masking tape, mask off the blank for a few inches in front of the cork, and also the reel seat for a couple of inches. This keeps you from sanding something you don't want to sand.

Take the Elmer's Wood Putty (Golden Oak color) and squeeze a blob about the size of a match head onto your fingertip, and smear it on the cork pits. You want the filler to be higher than the surrounding cork. It's good if you get the filler on the cork around the pit - it'll sand off anyway.

Keep doing this until you have all the pits you want filled covered with the putty.

Let dry for a few hours, then sand it. I use 180 grit sandpaper, and find I don't really have to step down in sizes to get a nice smooth finish.

When you sand, cut the sandpaper into strips, and use a "shoe shine" motion to sand. It helps if you have someone hold the rod while you do this, but you can put the rod on an open cardboard box with the reel seat on one edge, and the blank on the other. Cut a slit in the cardboard and push the blank down into it - this helps keep the rod from spinning as you sand.

It's easy - you can do this.

Mr. Clean eraser, great tip.

Thanks Ed! I'll definitely give it a try next chance I get.

Back