Saltwater tandem rig

wgmiller

wgmiller

I happened to see making use of a tandem rig for shore fishing. In watching different videos, I've seen conventional tackle anglers also use tandem salt rigs with great success. Has anyone ever used a tandem salt rig, and if so, how did it cast/work/etc.? One concern I would have would be that if it wasn't in-line (e.g., tied in droppper fashion) it could be prone to tangling, etc. Is the best option for fly angling the salt still just a single fly? I can see where a tandem rig might be effective in simulating a baitfish chasing a food source.

CapeMay.jpg

Image source: http://www.capemaytimes.com/fishing/The-Fish-Man/2005-beach-fishing.htm

I got this comment from an old salty SOB that really knows his stuff, but he's not registered on the site. Here is his reply >

Straight shot mono (I personally like 30lb Trilene Big Game or Ande but I also carry 20, 25, 40 and 50lb too). Sinking line short leader maybe 4' long, then another section maybe 30" long and surgeon knot the 2 together with FIVE turns leaving about a 10" tag on the 4' long piece. I use the non-slip mono loop for both flies. I also like the tag with fly to hand about 3-4". I also like about 24" between flies. For whatever reason I have more success with a longer distance between flies. Can also add addition sections for more flies. I've gone up to 4 flies. Use flies of different size or color don't use 2 of the same. If using a weighted fly I'd put that up front because if it's the trailer it will drop below the line create a mess and ding you in the head at some point. In fact if using sinking line there is no need to have a weighted fly.

If using a floater I will go to a 7-8' lead section. All depends on the environment.

Be careful where you fish 2 flies. Jetties have a lot of **** around them and when a fish takes 1 fly there is that second fly just waiting to hook onto something.

I've used tandem rigs in the surf for years. From my experience using spin gear, I'd tie a Clouser about 20" above a big bucktail jig or swimming plug. The fly often caught as many fish as the lure.

As a result of this experience, for FFing I started putting small Clousers above a larger one - or above a big fly like an eel fly - and found that it works pretty well if it isn't too windy or you're not trying to cast for distance.

The rig looks like a small bluefish, eel, or sea trout chasing a sand eel or spearing. Fluke seem to really like beating that bluefish to the sand eel. :)

Dave,
Which specific dropper loop knot, if any, did you use for the teaser? I have tried one standard dropper loop knot that I found on the internet, but it seems to weaken the line substantially.

Mike wrote:
Dave,
Which specific dropper loop knot, if any, did you use for the teaser? I have tried one standard dropper loop knot that I found on the internet, but it seems to weaken the line substantially.

For this application I usually put the upper fly on the leader with a Rapala knot, which is my preferred loop knot. A 6" tag off a blood knot works well too.

For the lower, heavier fly I usually include a short length of shock tippet, say six inches of #30 lb or #20 floro, but I usually don't bother with this for the upper dropper.

What is "Shock Tippet"?

Are you using knotted leader or are there heavy pre made leaders available.

I just use a straight shot of 20 lb fluro then cut it at were I want my dropper then tie a triple surgeons knot then tie the second fly off one of the tags

Baron wrote:
What is "Shock Tippet"?

This is a term used almost entirely in a saltwater context.

It just refers to a short length of heavier or stronger line at the end of the leader that you tie your fly on to. It is meant to protect the leader from teeth, sharp scales or gill edges.

Knotted.
I don't think they are in pre-made leaders (but I wouldn't know as I tie all my own leaders).

Fredrick wrote:
I just use a straight shot of 20 lb fluro then cut it at were I want my dropper then tie a triple surgeons knot then tie the second fly off one of the tags

When tying in a surgeons it's best to leave the tippet intact (don't cut it) and tie surgeons knot using a short section of line to use as a dropper. Nip off the top tag and use the bottom tag as the dropper.

A solid tippet with a short section added for a dropper is stronger than cutting the tippet at the dropper point and tying the knot there.

Fredrick and Dave,
Can't become more economical or simpler. Thanks for upgrading my lingo list.
Best!

Dave_W wrote:
Baron wrote:
What is "Shock Tippet"?

This is a term used almost entirely in a saltwater context.

It just refers to a short length of heavier or stronger line at the end of the leader that you tie your fly on to. It is meant to protect the leader from teeth, sharp scales or gill edges.

Knotted.
I don't think they are in pre-made leaders (but I wouldn't know as I tie all my own leaders).

Back