Saltwater reports

Acristickid

Acristickid

Any saltwater action. Not a mumble on here. I have no immediate plans but a guy can waste time at work, or I mean dream.

Chucked lead and bait at Broadkill Beach, DE last weekend. Pretty consistent snapper Blue action all day. One rogue shortie Striper. Best day for sharks I've ever had...good action at both dawn and dusk. Landed 4 and had several more on. 2 good sized rays also.

Should start to pick up next week

Sandy Hook on Wednesday. All the small blues you want. Allies were there but to far out for the flyrodder.

Corson's Inlet was loaded with peanut bunker and blues ranging from 8 to 16 inches for the past week. Catches of blues were running at a rate of 10-12 per hour in good habitat types.

Meat fished today. Went 100 miles round-trip on flat calm seas. Had 8 amber jacks all legal size,35 inches to the fork. All tossed back as they are out of season. The "reef donkeys" wore us out. One keeper Mangrove Snapper. Several short Gag Grouper. HOT as blazes all day. Friend had a similar day in his boat. About a month out from really hot action. GG

False Albacore at Sandy Hook. Caught 2 Saturday, 1 Sunday. Lots of small Blues.

Some stripers being caught along nj coast for an hour on each side of high tide on poppers.

Well, these reports are good to hear.

Still hope for lotsa rain for trouting but if not maybe salt next week. I need to do some fishing soon.

Big red tide outbreak reported in the Gulf out of Tampa Bay to Sarasota with big fish kills. Just when the bait is showing and major runs are close to starting. Nuts!! GG

Anything recent? Thinking about Raritan Bay next weekend.

Not sure what is going to happen with this storm but if anyone would like tyo go out this Wendsday let me know . If you have a kayak even better .

Headed to Sea Isle City this weekend... any activity in that area? I'm new to the surf game and looking for pointers on what to look for and where and also what time of day to do it.
I'm dreaming about pre-dawn fishing a blitz, but don't know where to begin in that search.

slay12345 wrote:
I'm dreaming about pre-dawn fishing a blitz,

Keep that dream - it's what keeps salt fly guys motivated!

If you're new to surf fishing, be aware that it is really hit or miss. I've fished beaches from Texas to Maine for forty years: the probability that you will hit a genuine blitz from shore are slim (you can up the odds at some places like Montauk in the autumn). However, it tends to happen in the autumn months and during low light conditions when baitfish and game fish are present close to shore. A moving tide with wind coming from the east often helps (although it can make for tough casting).

Ultimately, the only way to realize that dream is to just get out there and walk those beaches. Walking a beach at dawn with a fly rod is a great experience even if you don't encounter a blitz.

If you don't see any activity - diving birds are usually the way to find such activity - don't give up. Just blind casting into the surf can oftentimes produce hook-ups.

Good luck with your trip - let us know how you made out.

Slay,

Since you are going to be in SIC, check out the inlet b/w SIC and Ocean City. I caught the salt bug there this past summer. I had no luck during the day but at night I was focusing on areas that had light hitting the water from the bridge, caught a handful of snapper blues.
enjoy.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll report back if I get the chance to wet a line. It sounds like activities from sun up to sun down and then some on saturday but I should have an opportunity to take the rod for a walk sunday morning.

Fish downstream of one of the bridges at night or early morning during an outgoing tide.

Thanks cowboy... thats the kind of tip I was looking for. I can read a trout stream for fishy water, but tides, moon, storms, season, etc have much less impact on where the fish will be.

Any time, man. The technique I'd use would be to cast across, parallel to the bridge as close as you can get it to the bridge, then mend and mend until it has quartered downstream. Finally, use a swing technique like you were salmon fishing. Cast from near to far along the bridge until you've swung the fly past everything downstream of it. Then move downstream 30-40 feet and do it again. Rinse and repeat until fish are caught or shoulder is immobile.

Sad to report that I was unsuccessful at catching any fish, but I did make it out and wet a line. After a too late start to catch sunrise, then not departing in time to catch the turnover of high tide to it's outgoing flow, the wife decided she wanted to come along since it was now a nice and sunny morning. We got there shortly after 10am and after passing 30+ streets worth of ocean front access she "kindly asked" if I would park already... "it's the ocean, it's all the same". Needless to say I never made it to the inlet as planned.

Not a wasted trip by any means though. We took my son and godson as well as our boxer to run and play on the beach. We all had a blast with the beach practically to ourselves.

Back