saltwater leaders

hunter1

hunter1

Question I have, For a floating line is it better to use a tapered leader, either bought or made up. What length would be good, or would a straight piece of mono be better. Now for a medium sinking line or full sink, would a straight piece of mono 3' or 4' be better than a tapered leader. This is for saltwater 9 wt. Thank you.

Use Floro for and tippet you want to sink.

Each species/conditions/situation can be different. This is my general setup.

For floating line on the flats : I use flouro. Go 5' of 40, 3' of 25, then 2' of 15. Start there and adjust.

For sinking line out front : I use straight flouro. 4' or so. 20lb is usually fine.

For cheap people like myself, go to a tackle shop and buy the 25 yard "rings" of flouro. Don't pay "tippet prices".

I use about the same system as Brookie. It works wherever I have fished North or South.

Thanks guys. I'll get some flouro this week.

I've always just used Ande line for all my salt water leaders.

Not that much different than Brookie or teedee. I have a hand twisted fluorocarbon leader and I use 20 or 25 pound fluorocarbon tippet. For my intermediate line I flip back and forth between the hand twisted leader and straight piece of 20 or 25 pound fluorocarbon. Sinking line a 4 to 6 foot piece of 20 or 25 pound fluorocarbon.

BrookieChaser wrote:

For cheap people like myself, go to a tackle shop and buy the 25 yard "rings" of flouro. Don't pay "tippet prices".

This is good advice. ^

In fact, I use cheapo spinning reel mono for most of my leader construction.

I've been using 200 or 300yd maxima spools for as long as I've been tying leaders. I think I used ultragreen for saltwater and I got bonefish and a pretty big barracuda. I was told to use flouro and I ended up forgetting it.

Back