SAltwater leader

hunter1

hunter1

I'm heading down to A.I.VA for a week Sunday, I'll just be FF , no surf equipment this time. Question, When I FF for stripers here in MD, I used a 7' to 6' piece of 30 lb mono for the leader on a 9 wt floating line. On the sinking line I would use a 3' piece of 30 lb mono to help get the fly down faster. This all worked great from a boat. Or should I use a tapered leader. This time I'll be FF from the beach Thanks. :-?

If you are throwing flies of size. the straight mono leader will be fine. I use a 3-5 ft piece of mono too. If i find i'm getting bitten off I have a spool of coated, braided wire (actually thinner than the mono) and just loop to loop connect that to the mono. Leaving tomorrow for OBX so I'm hoping to get into some. i do take my surf rod for when I don't feel like working so hard.

If you're fishing out front you want a full or intermediate sink and that straight mono will be fine. I use 4' of 25lb fluoro in the surf on my sinking lines.

Not sure there will be much of anything happening at the beach there at this time of year. Possibly some flounder and small blues. Better off using lighter tackle and checking out spots in the back channels and bays if you want to have flies in front of fish. See my reply to your previous thread.

If that's simply just the only place where you'll have time to fish, ignore me - have at it, and good luck!

Thanks all,I'll be casting clousers and some big clousers A guy made for me .

tHREE FT OF 40 LB, 3FT OF 30 LB,3 FT OF 20 LB. A short wire 6inb to a ft. thie to the mono with a loop to loop will stop the toothy critters from nipping off your flies. A long shank hook tied flies will work also. GG

I like GG's inclusion of the wire. I usually add a wire leader of some sort to all of my FF rigs. You will need it. There are much larger fish than you think on the surf and it is a real shame to see a small shark or ray break off due to not having a wire on.

Cheers,

An Albright Spcial is a goodknot to join leader and wire. Less visible,imo, than a swivel. It is a strong knot . GG

Thanks all, I have been fishing with the intermediate sinking line. Boy is it hard to cast, I'm trying it tomorrow with just a 2' piece of 20 lb mono and a 2 ' piece of 15 lb tippet. Casting till my arms get tired, but still having fun at A.I.Va. Besides there only catching small fish with the surf rods. Tight lines.

That's interesting because this morning I was thinking how much easier it was to cast my intermediate line.

Tom, I'm pretty sure it was me. I have never used a sinking line that much. Floating ,I can cast great. Also I have to get use to handling a 9 wt . Yesterday was a lot better with the sinking line. I was able to get it out between 20 to 30 yards. The shorter leader did work better. There is a lot to learn.

rays won't bite you off ! always used a 40 lb or more tippit. fished the beach since 1970 with fly rod

fenwick 909 wanna buy it

Back