Saltwater - Emerald Isle NC - Bogue Inlet/ Bank Channel

PocketWater

PocketWater

I will be vacationing for a week, during the summer of 2017, near the tip of Emerald Isle in North Carolina. I have never saltwater fly fished.

Can anyone give me any tips on what sort of setup would work near the Bogue Inlet/ Bank Channel there and what types of fish would be there to target?

You see the terms 'saltwater setup' and 'freshwater setup'....is there a difference other than you would just want a sealed drag system so sand doesn't get in there? Does saltwater do something to the line or something or do you just want to make sure you really hose your gear off after fishing?

I have a Cabelas RLS 8wt combo that I use for steelhead and would more than likely just take that.

PocketWater wrote:
I have a Cabelas RLS 8wt combo that I use for steelhead and would more than likely just take that.

That will be perfect for inshore FFing in that area. Just make sure to give your gear a good cleaning in soapy fresh water when you're done.

The main fishes you'd likely encounter in that area would be speckled trout, red drum, flounder, and Spanish mackeral. Have some crab flies and some weedless Clousers.

Good luck with your trip. Let us know how you made out.

Thanks Dave. Is it a lot of sight casting or more just covering water? I'm looking forward to something new.

PocketWater wrote:
Thanks Dave. Is it a lot of sight casting or more just covering water? I'm looking forward to something new.

Usually it's covering water, although there can certainly be some sight fishing (it's not the crystal clear sand flats that you see in the glossy advertisements - that's down in the Keys and tropics).

It's much easier if you are fishing from a boat: you can watch for "tailing" fish - red drum do this when they're feeding or just watch the water surface for swirls or "nervous water" created by schools of baitfish. That area has large expanses of spartina grass flats and much of it is shallow. Whether you can wade or not would depend on bottom. It may be too soft to wade. If you are just covering water, make a few casts at fishy looking spots like old pilings, mouths of tidal creeks, rip rap, etc.

If you are out on the beach, just make some blind casts with a streamer fly and retrieve it through the surf - right in the suds. If there are fish around and they are active, a green over white Clouser ought to do the trick. Specks and flounders are often in close the the beach and they like this fly.

Know that sea gulls and other ocean birds are a saltwater fisherman's best friend. Keep an eye out for birds diving at the water and get to that spot if you can as there are likely game fish feeding on baitfish.

Back