Saltwater 9 wt reel.

hunter1

hunter1

Hi, Looking for a 9 wt saltwater reel. Open for options on whats out there. Any suggestions . Right now I'm using the Orvis battenkill that came with the Orvis Silver label 9 wt I bought years ago.Thanks.

I'm looking at the Orvis Hydros. The drag on it is top notch, tons of stopping power.

Thanks, I'm looking at the Orvis reels also.

Get a Tibor.

Brookie chaser, How are they compared to a Nautalas , or a Abel. Thak you.

I much prefer my Tibors over Nautilus or Abel.

A Tibor is a quality piece designed and made to last for decades. I was on the Nautilus train until I used a buddy's Tibor reels. Now I have Tibors.

The Everglades cork drag is not sealed and easily disassembled with a penny, should you have a drag issue. Which I have chasing tarpon in FL.
The Nautilus' are sealed and can't be repaired without sending them back should you have an issue. I can't speak on Abel's drag because I haven't had one apart. Even Tibor's sealed drag (Signature series) can be repaired on the water.

The Nautilus reels I've had/used CCFX2 (if I remember right) wore and got loose like a bad bushing/spool-frame fit. The fit/finish wasn't there compared to a Tibor. Abel's look flashy, but the "feel" isn't there for me. The Tibor's downfall is weight, but it's not that big of an issue to me.

I'd recommend watching a couple of Ted Jurasik's interviews on how he designed his reels.

Back