Salt water tippet?

auriemma

auriemma

OK... so I am prepping to start Surf Fly Fishing in 2 weeks. Thanks to afishinado, I am rigged up with an Orvis Access 9'0" 10wt and Hydro LA V reel spun up with WF 10wt intermediate clear line and 6'0" of 15# tapered leader. I am collecting the rest of my gear.

I have been told I will need a simple tippet of 20# test mono 6'0" long.

My question is, will SpiderWire EZBraid 20# (.009" dia.) work? Or should I go with standard 20# (.018" dia.) mono?

I would go with straight 20# mono. I would suggest you look at even less than 6'. Salt fly leader set-up is not something to over think. If the fish are there, the leader ain't gonna be what makes them not eat.

Another vote for mono.
The latest superbraid lines aren't well suited to FFing leaders, esp in the thin diameters like 20lb test. They will also cut your skin if you grab them to pull a bass up the beach.

What is the breaking strength of your backing? If it is 20lb test, then you need a lighter tippet. I'd re-tie your leader so you have a butt/belly of 20lb, then a couple feet of 15lb "class tippet" then about 12 inches of 20-30lb shock tippet.

If your backing is 30lb test.....you can just use a straight 20lb tippet. I still like a short shock tippet of at least 20lb.

The backing is 30 lbs, with #10wt fly line, Its either a 16 or 20# leader. I have Haywire tippet ends. I will will replace the leader with regular 20# mono later.

I wasn't going to use the EZBraid as leader, Its going to be tippet. Will it work?

In my opinion, the braid wouldn't be good for any part of the leader or tippet. You'd need to connect the braided tippet to the mono mid-section and this will require a complex knot or connection system as they're different materials and much different diameters. I suppose a loop-to-loop might work. A tippet ring would be another option if you're set on using braid.

I'd stick with all mono.

Point taken

Saltwater fish are opportunists. As mentioned, don't overthink it. Keep it simple and you'll do fine. If you're into blues or other "toothy" fish, you'll wand some heavy nylon/mono or bite tippet.

Anywhere from 20 to 40 is where I stay. If fishing around jetties I use a 4 to 5 foot preice of 40 pound test. It depends on how big the fish are around you as well. when plugging and bait fishing I go all the way to 90 to 100 pound test. The fish usually dont mind the tippet size. And I would get some 60 if you run into blues. I don't
Like wire.

I would just get any kind of 20lb fluro convention gear line you can find since you get more for the money . And get a spool of 60lb fluro tippet since it will be thinner and more limp than convention gear lines. Just in case you run into some blues. As far as my leader goes I just run about a 5' straight piece of 20lb fluro while using a int line but I shorten it to 3' when I am using a full sinking line .

Back