Salt Water in September

T

tyeager

My wife and I are looking to take a long weekend trip to the beach this September, probably looking at the 2nd week.

I'm just wondering what fishing opportunities exist near regular vacation areas. I know IBSP is just south of seaside heights.
Any worth around Ocean City, NJ or MD?

Thanks ahead of time

Sept is a pretty good month (the later half tends to be better). Many old salts regard the Autumnal Equinox to be the beginning of the fall fishing season. Generally, beach fishing is better further north in Sept - NY and New England - whereas points south such as NJ down to VA tends to fish better in Oct and Nov. Anyway, you can expect to see some stripers and bluefish, probably in smaller sizes, along the beaches of NJ in mid Sept. Flounders, known locally as "fluke," will still be around and will eat a fly in shallow water. You'll hear about false albacore along NJ beaches in Sept too but this is very hit and miss and is mostly a boat game.
IBSP is my favorite section of beach to fish and is about as dependable as any. You will probably see similar conditions down in Ocean City NJ and Ocean City, Maryland.
Good luck with your trip.

Back