Sal's Super Bugger

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Historically, I have not contributed much to this part of the forum. I do tie about 60 percent of my own flies. Its just hard to find the time anymore with a child in the house. Hooks and kids dont mix.

In about 30 mins ill be leaving to be a stream guide for the fly on the run trny on Lititz Run. One of the things they ask is to bring some of your own stuff. I won this trny a few years back and here is the fly I used. Just an idea I had to jazz up the simple bugger.

SDC12084.jpg

Use a size 10 streamer hook w/ white thread(thin) and tie in .15 lead with a smokey colored bead. Of course laying down thread on hook so lead will not roll on you.

SDC12090.jpg

Next tie in white marabou tail with sparse amounts on black marabou. Add 3 strands of crystal flash to each side of tail. What I like to do is tie the flash up into the body at different lengths then fold it back into the tail to give lots of strands at different lengths.
SDC12089.jpg

SDC12091.jpg

Tie in black crystal flash and grizzly hackle and wrap to front like a normal bugger, but before you do add one drop of glue to hackle and tail so it is bullet proof.

Then pull off stands on white marabou and tie into the head so it folds over the whole fly. Whip finish....add a dab of glue and your finished.

SDC12095.jpg

SDC12096.jpg

SDC12077.jpg

Simple tie and it adds more action to your bugger. Also the while folding over the black with the black/white tail dulls down the flash some, which is good for "smarter" trout. I like the white/black two tone version the best. Just another adds a different look to a classic pattern.

Slays fresh stocked trout. I plan on giving them to the kids on my beats at the trny. Hope you guys enjoyed.

Nice tie Sal. I like the idea of the 2 tone. It's weird, I don't think I caught my first fish on a bugger until my 2nd or 3rd season... now I use them more and more every season... kind of backwards. I may have to toss in a few pieces of this fly into some of my own.

I really like this. Can't wait to get home and tie some up

I like it Sal. I havent had much luck fishing buggers. Is there a correct way to fish them? Stripping, dead drift? Any pointers?

a fish catcher no doubt. My favorite two tones are olive/white, brown/yellow and olive/black. I like what you did with the marabou up front... I tied up some this year with a few turns of marabou plume at the head to achieve a similar effect. Gives a nice leggy look on the pause or when dead drifting and gives a highlight of color on the strip.

Nice! Will have to tie a few of those.

JH

Sal why not just tie a Gartside hackle fly with a bead

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Gartside_Softhackle_Streamer.htm

you go with what you got.

Sal stop being a hermit and go to some board functions

Cool looking streamer, but there's too much material behind the hook for trout IMO

I would agree with you on some trout but it depends on what kind and where. Some streams/rivers have fish that I could hook a trout with a size 4 bugger with twice the material.

Truth be told, I always leave the tail long then cut it stream side to a desired length to where I am fishing. If the opportunity presents itself, I leave it long for extra action.

Many times I have wanted to attend some of the board functions Fred. Almost every single time this has happened someone(not always the same person) on this board has tried to prove that I am either disliked, considered an enemy, considered stupid or less than them. Generally put, some people can be very disrespectful. I have then just figured not this time because it would be better for me not to attend. I dont want to ruin their experience or the function itself. I realize to some people this is just the internet and in many ways this is true. For me, I met my wife on the internet. I try to treat people here as I would expect to be treated in person. Once someone becomes ignorant towards me my first reaction is to do the same. My second is to smack them if it continues. If I was at McDonalds getting a coffee and the guy behind the counter said some of things that have been allowed to be said to me here, his face would be burning. People that have met me or fished with me will most likely tell you I'm a really nice guy and would give most anyone the shirt off my back. I have a pretty good, though sightly sick sense of humor and make fun of myself more than anyone. I just have little tolerance for snide grudge holding smartmouths, with my Irish temper that will likely never change.

I have no problems meeting up with folks and fishing with them. A board function would most likely be a bad idea.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I would agree with you on some trout but it depends on what kind and where. Some streams/rivers have fish that I could hook a trout with a size 4 bugger with twice the material.

Truth be told, I always leave the tail long then cut it stream side to a desired length to where I am fishing. If the opportunity presents itself, I leave it long for extra action.

Many times I have wanted to attend some of the board functions Fred. Almost every single time this has happened someone(not always the same person) on this board has tried to prove that I am either disliked, considered an enemy, considered stupid or less than them. Generally put, some people can be very disrespectful. I have then just figured not this time because it would be better for me not to attend. I dont want to ruin their experience or the function itself. I realize to some people this is just the internet and in many ways this is true. For me, I met my wife on the internet. I try to treat people here as I would expect to be treated in person. Once someone becomes ignorant towards me my first reaction is to do the same. My second is to smack them if it continues. If I was at McDonalds getting a coffee and the guy behind the counter said some of things that have been allowed to be said to me here, his face would be burning. People that have met me or fished with me will most likely tell you I'm a really nice guy and would give most anyone the shirt off my back. I have a pretty good, though sightly sick sense of humor and make fun of myself more than anyone. I just have little tolerance for snide grudge holding smartmouths, with my Irish temper that will likely never change.

I have no problems meeting up with folks and fishing with them. A board function would most likely be a bad idea.

Sal,

Sorry you feel this way. I have never seen any member disrespect another member at a Jam or mini jam (well only once last year, but I digress). The reality is, the Internet persona that many have gets put away and it just turns out to be a group of guys getting together sharing a common interest. Doctors, mechanics, lawyers, musicians, college students, truck drivers, engineers, computer geeks, unemployed trout bums .............some group! You would enjoy it! Come on down!

Sal - It's time to fix this. I've got the PERFECT event in mind for you to attend, and you can bring the family, too. Lots for them to do while we're fishing...

Once you meet a bunch of these characters, posting on the board becomes a much better experience. I've never met one board member I didn't like, and I'd fish with any of them.

Check your PM's....

H.A.

BTW, I was talking about the Gartside, not your bugger. My favoirte way to chase trout is with 2s and 4s on big water.

That bugger is awesome.

Sal- For what it's worth, You are one of my favorite posters and can't see why someone would start crap with you. You always contribute cool pics and good stories, plus a sense of humor.

Anyways, just my observations/input as a total random stranger on the internet.

Back