Salmon River Flies

• Thread starter Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
  • Start date
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah

I'm going to the salmon river on Sunday for a few days. Anybody have any pictures of flies that are quick simple patterns?

So far I'm tying, C- Meth, Estaz, and blood dots, anything else one could think of? Just looking for quick patterns that i can tie in the motor home on the way up.

The infamous pink worm on a heavy hook is all you will need. A size 12-14 S-80/3906 mustad does a great job.

PA040006.jpg

PA040007.jpg

PA060010.jpg

PA060008.jpg

John Utah. OMG!!! That was {YOU} fishing last Sunday & Monday with your friends on the S/R fly section? What a small world, or should i say section of the S/R LOL

If I see you again, Stefano's afterwards on me.

Sorry zip thats not me and I wasn't on the s/r. My friend Steve is in those pictures with just a couple of fish he caught on the infamous. He sent them to me last night. You must have met him and his friend John. Unfortunately I never have time to get up this time of the year. Thanks for the offer though.

Hot bead head buggers and/or bunnies tied on Salmon hooks. Good bright colors for the lower end of the river and darker/natural on the upper end.

The easiest patterns would just be simple estaz eggs.

Here's a quick crappy phone camera pic of one of my boxes. Some of it is stuff people gave me and from fly swaps, but it will give you an idea.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 2
I've had very good luck with the BH prince style nymphs for browns & steelhead over the last two years. I tie them natural & with 'hot' colors.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
The infamous pink worm on a heavy hook is all you will need. A size 12-14 S-80/3906 mustad does a great job.
PA060008.jpg

Does it count when you floss 'em?

gfen wrote:
JohnnyUtah wrote:
PA060008.jpg

Does it count when you floss 'em?

It's the Salmon River, there is no other way...

Wow, Its obviously neither of you have used the infamous pink worm.. Sorry fellas but a size 14 heavy nymph hook doesn't snag well.

I have used the IPW up there. It flosses 'em just like anything else, but they will take it as well. Not snagging - flossing.

That fish looks to be flossed, but my informal estimate is that 60-70% of salmon taken on the dead drift are. Meh. It's life up there.

JohnnyUtah wrote:
Wow, Its obviously neither of you have used the infamous pink worm.. Sorry fellas but a size 14 heavy nymph hook doesn't snag well.

Pictures don't lie, the hook is set from the OUTSIDE of the mouth.

The other ones, I don't pretend to be astute enough to pick a side, but that fish won't get gingavitis coz you did done floss 'em.

My buddies and I hooked dozens of fish on Saturday with egg sucking bunny leaches in mostly black, with a few purple; orange and pink heads. Sunday red estaz was the ticket.

Lots of colors. There's a thread below called salmon flies that should give you all the info you need.

I'm a newbie on this site. But this thread makes me just laugh.

The term .."Flossing", ROFL!

Gfen- clearly you dont understand how hooks have a bend on them.

Your absolutely right that pictures don't lie.... But you failed to think of what my friend did in the picture. He rotated the fly(hook) so the fly would be clear in the picture. Go on my blog and look at the header photo. All i would need to do is rotate the fly, and the shank would rest outside, while the hook point and hook bend are IN the mouth. If you would like i can show you many pictures of what Im talking about if you dont understand.

Tell me, If you truly believe in "flossing", How is it you will be getting hit after hit and then the bite shuts off. You switch fly pattern and boom bite goes back on. Wait let me guess the fish decided to close there mouths for an hour..... lol OR perhaps your ability to put the line in the fishes mouth turned off for an hour... nonsense.

Snagging the fish is easily accomplished with the rig set up most commonly used. The placement of the weights causes your flies to NOT stay on the bottom and they float up and down in the water column, Thus resulting in snags. Its amazing how fly fisherman dont realize this and still rig "The snagging rig". Although if you like to foul hook fish then this is the rig to have!

I think Johnny U is right on this one guys.

He's like the Myth Buster on this site..

Since, Next you are going to tell me when a fish swallows your fly, that it yawned and that caused it to go into the fishes mouth?

JohnnyUtah wrote:
All i would need to do is rotate the fly, and the shank would rest outside, while the hook point and hook bend are IN the mouth. If you would like i can show you many pictures of what Im talking about if you dont understand.

I don't understand.

You guys sure are making everything so darn complicated today. I'm lost on most conversions from colors, dubbing, cree,.

But i'm always looking to learn from you all.

I do know my music.LOL

You're struggling, Youtah, sorry dude. That fish is clearly hooked OUTSIDE the mouth. As I said, I don't profess to be an expert on the other shots, but that big one you've so proudly displayed is a good example of a flossed fish.

Stag, pick a troll concept and stick with it. Either ignorance, dumb girlie girl, or intelligent nitpicker. Switching between personas is tiring for me to keep up with.

Your opinion is yours. But I assure you the hook point is in the fishes mouth. Im tired of all the mundane arguments you always start with me.

-shrug-

Flossed.

As pointed out, its a way of life up there.

Back