Salmon net

kobalt335

kobalt335

I'm looking into getting a salmon net for wading. What does anybody use? I see the frabil steelhead and salmon net, but it seems on the smaller side. I think I'd prefer a longer handle, but unfortunately some people aren't trustworthy enough anymore to leave it on the bank.

And yes, I know pros and cons to using a net. I've been fishing without a net for salmon for a few years and have landed my share. However now my dad started going with me, and my kids are starting to get older so the situation is changing.

I find when fishing alone the easiest way for me to control and land the fish is with a wet wool glove.
I find long handed nets cumbersome to carry and very awkward to control the fish and get the fish into the net.

CRB wrote:
I find when fishing alone the easiest way for me to control and land the fish is with a wet wool glove.
I find long handed nets cumbersome to carry and very awkward to control the fish and get the fish into the net.

Normally I'd agree, however I'm very hesitant to grab a NY fish even with a glove on because I've went to tail a fish and ended up with a hook in my own hand. I landed a salmon one time with 10 different hooks in it.

This may be a dumb suggestion but IF a glove would work but hooks are the issue, what about a cut resistant or a mesh glove used in the food service industry?

There are options with Kevlar and other materials and the metal mesh type as well. I use a metal mesh glove when shucking oysters and I swear buy its protection. Just search for "cut resistant gloves" and you will see what I mean.

If not, you may want to take a look at folding or telescoping nets made by McLean Angling in New Zealand but sold here in the USA via the website I linked to.

Absolutely not the cheapest choice out there but the best in regards to quality with LOTS of options including nets that fold, telescope manually or automatically and others that will weigh your catch.

In addition many of the McLean nets offer scabbards that will allow you to keep your folded net at your side on your belt.

I am a bit of a folding net junkie and own several McLean nets and can attest to their quality.

Good luck!!

Best prices and options are to be had up there in the various tackle shops. I totally understand your worry about someone walking off with a net on the shore line in certain places, but you have to just keep an eye on gear up there, or fish with a lot of eyes to do the same. Put some hi vis tape on your net handle so it's obviously yours.

I think you land a lot more fish on the SR with a capable net man helping you out. Plus you aren't playing them to complete exhaustion most of the time aiding in C&R if that's your thing or you have a banner day after limiting out. It's also a lot of fun to net fish in your group, until you knock a nice coho or trout off on a bad scoop.

For what it's worth, just bought Ranger with a double telescoping handle at All Seasons and it worked great. Portable for walking in, but I wouldn't want to wear it all day.

Here is an option:. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=salmon+tailer&view=detail&mid=4F8EE0BB88C0E39621734F8EE0BB88C0E3962173&FORM=VIRE GG

Here is an option:. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=salmon+tailer&view=detail&mid=4F8EE0BB88C0E39621734F8EE0BB88C0E3962173&FORM=VIRE GG

A glove sticks to a fish like sandpaper. It is very easy to tail a fish with a glove. I could kind of care less in most Ontario and Erie tribs, but just so you're aware using a wool glove to tail fish is horrible for the fish.

Back