Sage Z-Axis vs. Hardy Zenith

greenlander

greenlander

Don't know if I'll get many opinions over the weekend, but I need to make a decision ASAP, so I thought I'd throw this up here.

I've been searching for a Sage Z-Axis 9' 5wt for a few weeks and finally found one. The dealer only has 1 or 2 left in stock so I have to pull the trigger very soon if I'm going to.

In my researching, though, I've encountered stupid amounts of praise for the Hardy Zenith.

I'd welcome any opinions on the Zenith (horrifyingly ugly reel seat aside) vs. the Z-Axis, especially considering that I likely won't have the opportunity to cast the rods side by side unless I buy the Z-Axis and decide to re-sell it if I don't like the comparison.

(oh, and I'm not considering the Sage ONE because I tested it in a 9wt and found it to be too stiff in the trip for my tastes. 5wt ONE might be different, but still will be considerably stiffer in the tip than the Z-Axis)

The 590 Z-Axis is a fine rod. Paying a high price for a rod made in Korea is more than I can handle, so I would go with the Z-Axis for that reason. Will Hardy be making sections for Zenith 10 years from now? Sage prides itself on being able to repair discontinued rods, but Hardy might replace a Zenith with whatever they're currently producing if it breaks.

My 590 Z-Axis has served me well since they were first put on the market. The soft tip make litte fish fun, but it has more than enough power to turn large smallmouth in strong currents. It'll cast a Clouser, and lay down a #18 BWO. When in doubt, I take the Z-Axis is the rod I reach for every time.

Good points, Rich.

I don't make that much of the whole Korea thing, excepting the fact that Hardy is producing their rods at a discount in Korea but still charging a premium for them.

I prefer domestically made products but will happily buy products made overseas (I own several reels that were machined in Asia). However, I do expect those products to come at a discount.

I'm helping push my own thread OT, because I'm mostly concerned with how these rods perform. Your feedback in that regard echoes my own experience w/ the Z-Axis and virtually everything I've read. Good to hear more of the same.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Ended up figuring I won't have a problem re-selling this rod if I end up casting the other rods I'm considering (Scott S4, Hardy Zenith, Winston BIIIx) and liking them better.

SWEET!!!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

greenlander wrote:
I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Ended up figuring I won't have a problem re-selling this rod if I end up casting the other rods I'm considering (Scott S4, Hardy Zenith, Winston BIIIx) and liking them better.

GREAT move. Personally, I've tried those rods you listed, and I'll take the Z over any of them. It'll do everything you ask of it very, very well. By far the most versatile rod I own.

Enjoy!

I’ve got a 9’ 6wt Zenith and have cast and fished the Z-Axis enough times to know the rod. Both are very similar rods and I seriously doubt you will be disappointed with your purchase of the Z-Axis. When I bought my Zenith the Z-Axis was still in production and was selling in the $720 range while the Zenith was selling in the $570 range. Both rods are incredibly nice and fish very well and very similar. At that point in time I just didn’t find the Z-Axis to be worth the extra $150. Now if the Z-Axis was at closeout for around the same price as the Zenith, I can’t say I would have gone with the Zenith. When I bought my Zenith it came down to the Zenith, Z-Axis, NRX, GLX, and BiiiX. .

The question is what situations do you want to fish the rod? If you will be fishing at distances under 50 feet, you probably will LOVE the BiiiX if you test one. I have little experience with Scott rods but am a big Winston fan owning 3-WT’s. The BiiiX is a great rod but it is not a distance rod like the others. The BiiiX will outperform and have more feel than the Z-Axis and Zenith to about 30 feet and then from 30-50 feet or so all 3 rods are just about equal but at distances greater than 55 feet or so you’ve really got to be spot on with timing with the BiiiX to get distance and accuracy (the Z-Axis and Zenith are simply more forgiving to less than perfect casting technique at longer distances). I got the Zenith because I wanted a rod that would be well suited for the Delaware and windy conditions and simply felt the Zenith was the better choice than the BiiiX. However, if I was getting a rod for typical PA water, hands down I would have bought the BiiiX.

GreenWeenie,
I like that comparison! The price of the Zenith keeps alluding me, so that's not too bad. With the wind we've had the last few months, and fishing Clousers for smallmouth, I've been using a 6wt line on my 590 Z-Axis. It works well in close, but will cast out far as well with the heavier line. The wind seems to be subsiding, so I'll be switching back to a 5wt GPX line.

Rod Actions:
When I head out, the only thing less certain than my destination is the wind I'll encounter, and the fly I'll be casting. I carry several rods on most trips, but when I can only carry one, it's the 590 ZA.
Looks like your Zenith serves you in the same manner, and the guys at Yellowstone Anglers liked the Zenith for the same reason.

Back