sage vxp vs Winston gvx

M

mrflyfish

Anyone cast one of these in an 8 1/2 3 wt? How about the Winston gvx 8 1/2 3 wt? Opinions? Both are @$495.?

First, I have not cast either but the Sage VXP is essentially a reintroduction of the old Sage XP with a few tweaks making it a bit softer and the Winston GVX is essentially the discontinued BiiX except made from graphite with a few tweaks to make the tips a little stiffer.

That being said, Sage and Winston make vastly different rods and rod action definition is meaningless when comparing the two. A fast action Winston rod will feel like a medium or medium-fast action rod compared to a Sage fast action rod. As an example, the Sage ZXL is listed as a medium-fast action rod by Sage however, if this was a Winston rod it would be listed as fast action.

My personal opinion is in a 3 weight rod you’re not looking for distance and line speed but rather finesse and the ability to protect light tippets and I think the Winston rod will outperform the Sage in this category, especially in the under 35 foot range. Also, in lighter line classes many fast action rods are far too stiff and lose feel and won’t come alive until you’ve got 25-30 feet of line in the air.

Unless you know the feel you want I would not buy either until you’ve tried each because they are completely different rods.

Back