Sage VXP discontinued?

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

These are on sale at a number of places. Are they discontinued? Today only, Cabela's has them on sale for $295 for a 590 model. I wonder what they will be replaced with? Any feedback on this series? Particularly the 590 and 690 models? Thanks!

Yep. They're history.

Replacement? I thought the vxp came out a year or two ago.

Does not surprise me. Sage has a habit of switching models more often than any other flyrod company I can think of. They make good rods but all that R&D must be expensive judging by the cost of their products.

If the R&D isn't, the marketing sure is.

Well, I get a z-axis and they discontinue the model. I get a vxp and they discontinue it. If anyone is looming for a deal, wait until I buy a rod....then simply wait 2 months and you can get it at 1/2 price because they will stop making it right after I buy it.

So how do you like the VXP? How does it compare to the z axis?
Can you compare it to any other sage rod (ie XP) please

thanks

Why does it matter if a company discontinues a rod? Is it no longer worthwhile owning?

Sage knows that too many fly fisherman need the newest and flashiest models and thus "reinvent" their products on a regular basis to feed the need. Just smart business.

Oh no. I have a couple of them from when they just started. Where the discontinued hurts is if you decide you don't like it or need it any longer. You get murdered if you try to sell it.

Sage discontinuing a rod line, although rare, could work to the original owner's advantage. The LL being an example.

BrookieChaser wrote:
Sage discontinuing a rod line, although rare, could work to the original owner's advantage. The LL being an example.

I wouldn't make it a retirement strategy. The LL is an exception even amongst sage rods.

I have a vxp 596, my go too all around trout rod. Nymph with it, throw dries, indy rigs and can chuck streamers. Right now im fishing the RIO Perception line and it pairs well. Fast rod but very forgiving, has good feel throughout the entire rod, if you like super fast rods, you may not like it as it seems to fish better a tad slower. Great rod IMO, blank color is cool too.

I have the 690-4. Cast it in yard and it felt dead. Got perception for it but never loaded the line on a reel. How does that line cast?

Looks like they are replacing it with a cross between the z-axis and the vxp:

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/sage-intros-salt-and-accel-fly-rods-reinvents-g5-technology/7711364

New Sage Salt rod can't wait to cast it

Interesting. Axis was g5 and vxp was not. Prices aren't ridiculous but not great either.

If you want a solid streamer rod and it sounds like they are being blown out, vxp 696.

Back