sage txl rods

E

edhank

I am contemplating a new rod to fish for natives. The rod I have in mind is the sage txl series. For whatever reason have the 00 rod on the brain. It seems this weight rod would be fun to fish with. Since I will only use this for natives, I don't think I'd have to worry about over stressing fish.
The largest fly is usually fish is a size 12 standard type dry. Sometimes, I will add a beadhead dropper off the bend of the dry.
I can't find any reviewsas to what size flies these ultra light line rods fish best with.

Does anyone have opinions that care to share on the txl series, especially the 1 weights or smaller?

I would think that the 0 wts. could toss any normal dry flies with easy, and even a majority of nymphs.

I don't think casting would be a huge problem, and I'm sure it would be great for flip cast and fling (bow and arrow) cast.

Altough I think fishing with a 0 wt would be fun, personally, I see no point in going below a 2 wt.; which is hard enough to get line for.

Spend your $$$ on what you want. Somebody needs to end the recession by buying American, and that would be you. BUT: in practical fishing: I wouldn't ever have a 00 rod. I would never have a 1 wt. Maybe a 2 wt for, oh, hard to say. I have a 3 wt and it is practical for small, spooky fish in calm conditions with smaller flies. The smaller a line is, the more easily it wears and the worse it floats. A 00 fly line is getting pretty close to 80 lb braid permeated with parafin wax. But if you are a light line afficianato, this might be OK. I'd never get one, though. How are you going to get line for it in 8 years when the 00 or the 0 line weight fad passes?
I'm really glad that Sage has taken small stream and light weight fishing seriously, though. It's not the "Hollywood" big-money fishing, but there are a LOT of pretty affluent FFers in the East Coast Megalopolis that fish for wild trout in relatively near-by small mountain streams.
Syl

I haven't tried the lower weights, but the action on the txl's are buttery smooth! Going below a 4 weight will limit your roll cast ability, and if there's any wind you are in for a long day.

Last spring I contemplated the same rod. I had an Orvis 1 wt and wanted to go lighter. Come to find out after casting the Sage 1 at the shop, I purchased another 1 wt. Nice rod and I can cast a good size range of flies and even fish some bigger water than I could with the Orvis. I would suggest casting the TLX first and pick accordingly. Hope that helped.
CRB

Back