Sage Response

C

coachbarak

Is anyone familiar with this offering from Sage? After casting the TCX I bought on closeout I realized what Krayfish was talking about. It is a very fast rod that I am not in tuned with. Sent it back and looking at the 9' 5" Weight Response as a replacement. Anyone cast one? I have heard some good reviews on it but wanted to hear from you guys.

I have a 10 foot 7 weight Response that I used for steelhead this year. It feels good to me, not sure if that helps any with the difference in weights, like the way it casts and feels.

Cool! I am looking at getting into steelhead fishing soon. Is the Response in your mind a good choice? What kind of reel and line do you use?

Can I pick your brain for a minute? Where do you fish? What are your plans for the rod...dries, streamers, nymphing, all? You are looking for a 9' 5wt only or a different size? Targeted species.

I warned you about that TCX. LOL. It's a beast and IMHO, a very limited use rod. If you're not casting 60'-90', it's REALLY hard to use because there's no feel and it's all based on timing. Most of us don't fish enough or well enough to just base our casting on timing.

I haven't cast what you are looking at but did check out the Sage site. The Response is listed as fast and the Accel is moderate - fast. I'm guessing the Accel is easier and more fun to cast for most conditions. If you are going to make longer casts,fish in windy conditions, throw bigger dries, the Response may give you higher line speed and allow you to throw tighter loops. Giving a little more info may help get a more accurate response.

Where you bought / returned the TCX, what other rod brands or models do they carry? Are you open to other brands? If you don't need a beast of a rod, the Sage VXP on closeout might be one to consider.

When looking at lines, I can't offer too much help on Air-Rlo... limited help on SA lines but am pretty handy on Rio thanks to many calls to their product techs. For some reason, I see mentioned on here to get Rio Gold if you want to line a ultra fast rod. I think that may be a typo and the person is thinking of Rio Grand. Basically, Gold is pretty much on the mark for standard weight fly lines. If you order a 6wt and weigh it, the line should be between 6.0wt and 6.1wt. Grand is a much more aggressive taper and would weigh out to be 6.8wt - 6.9wt The Rio Perception is in the middle around 6.4wt The LT should weigh out pretty close to the Gold but has a more delicate front taper to allow a more gentle presentation. FYI, that gentile presentation can also be accomplished with a Grand taper if the caster is good.

Using it for mainly nymph rigs and nymph fishing. I fish mainly SW PA. I haven't fished dry flies too much. I have Rio Gold on my other rods. My friend has a Response and I just cast it today and liked the action. I have a 4 weight VXP and like it a lot. Accel was just a little too high for me.

"if" your vxp is a 9' 4wt, adding a 5 to your quiver won't be earth shattering. In that case, a 6wt might be your next step.

"If" your 4wt is 8' or 8.5', a 9' 5wt makes more sense. You've cast your friends rod and liked it, so you've already got an idea how it will perform which is a huge advantage. Other good performers around that price point: St Croix legend elite, TFO axiom, Grey's streamflex, Echo 3

Have you considered a 9'6" or 10' rod for high sticking? Some guys swear by it. Other than the Yough, I haven't fished out your way so I'm not familiar with width / depth of what you're fishing. If you think you might do any smallmouth or large streamer fishing, the 6wt would be more beneficial. With that said, you've cast and liked the Response, roll with it. You really can't go wrong with a Sage.

I appreciate all your help Krayfish!! I picked up the 9' 5 weight Response and I am going to pair it with a Ross Animas 5/6 reel with Rio Gold line

Airius reel? Where'd you find one of those?

Telluride Angler.

www.tellurideangler.com

I bought the last one of the first six they had in 5/6 Black/Stealth

I stopped using Rio Gold because it cracks. I've sent several lines back and got replacements. They cracked too in about 2 months. I like the softer feel of that line and it casts great...too bad.
Using Scientific Anglers now and no problems.

Krayfish2,
With all due respect and no malice intended, if your avatar is your likeness, time has not been kind. I like your posts, however.

Rich, no malice intended but you don't know Kray2

I wish I were as attractive as my avatar. LOL.

Andy, glad to see your high school yearbook pic is back as your avatar - nice!

afishinado wrote:
Andy, glad to see your high school yearbook pic is back as your avatar - nice!

Get rid of that pic Andy

I can't. It follows me. LOL. Met a forum member at little j one day. He was standing in the lot when I pulled in. Asked him how it was going and he told me he was waiting to meet a guy from a fishing forum. I said "I know. You're meeting me". He stared for a minute and replied "wow, you really look different in person". Lmao.

Andy 1 word for the everlasting avatar #SPICOLI

Always cast any rod you plan on buying!!!

One would think that would go without saying.

Back