sage question

B

brookie

I recently found online a place that sells sage discovery rods, I am looking at getting a four peice rod and these seem like a good deal, Ive only fished orvis rods and some cheap stuff like wal mart and the like, but everybody seems to worship sage and under 200 dollars seems like a good deal, i have never heard of these rods though?

the DS2's are discontinued, so if you're paying $200 you might as well get the newer Lauch series which replaced the Discovery.
they've updated the rods to have a more sensitive power curve resulting in a better feel to the rod plus they are a kind of cool color blank - a buddy just got one and seems to really like it.
thats all i know about that....
also to add, i think you'll find the Sage repeat costumers are getting their higher end rods - for the money Loomis GL3s are the best bang for the buck (my opinion of course).. they also have entry level rods for under 2 bones. I guess you should start going to shops and casting to see what you want. buy your line first and take your reel with you to try out the rods.

Love the Sage Launch for under $200! Its an awesome rod for the money, but cast what you can before buying. I cast several different rods in the price point I was looking at before deciding on it. Great rod IMHO for the money.

Ill look into those thanks, what makes sage a better rod company, becuase you would think that other companies would catch on because after all its just graphite right, do they use a different design or graphite type or something?

There really isn't a Difference in rods anymore, The technology is pretty much the same..Its all personal taste for some..I have owned them all and can't see much difference in them and I cast a lot...

The low-end sages don't hold a candle to the high-end ones, in my humble opinion. If cost is a big factor and you're looking for a rod with medium fast action, then try a TFO Professional rod before you buy the Discovery/Launch.

Bill

i have often heard negative things about low end sage rods.

however i have a seven weight launch and i love it.

I have to jump to the defense of the low end sages. While I don't own a Launch, I do own the next model up, the FLi (a 9' 5wt)-- This is amazing rod. You can get a four piece for $315. I also own the TFO professional (5wt) and an 8wt TFO TiCr. The Sage FLi completely outclasses these rods. Although the TFOs are very servicable rods, they seem miserably rigid by comparison and have none of the subtility of the Fli.

It really shines when the situation demands precision and delicate presentation. It mends like a whisper. It is a very graceful tool with a "feel" that is not far off from the Sage Z-Axis.

Ginky

Sages have always been my favorite rods, but I needed another rod for medium sized streams and low water fishing since my wife now uses my Sage SP. One of the great things about teaching your wife to FF is that it gives you an excuse to buy new equipment – and you don’t get that much of an argument.

I recently picked up a Loomis Streamdance Metolius HLS in a 8.5’ 4wt. The rod has a good combination of delicacy and power. It’s a great rod for the purpose. I got it on sale for $270. Cabelas may still be selling them for that price.

I was cruising Ebay yesterday where I have bought 2 Sage rods, one barely used and one brand new, for less than market price. I have 7 Sage rods and my favorites are from the old LL series. Saw a 389 LL reasonably priced, my absolute favorite rod, and a few others. It's worth a look just for fun if nothing else. You might get more rod than you can afford otherwise.

BTW I cast several of the new Orvis ZG Helios rods over the weekend, an 8'4" 3 wt and a 9' 5wt. Very very nice, BUT $755 apiece.

there are differences in rods, but mostly in the action. there is some difference in graphite, some have more percent graphite to make it lighter but more brittle, some have other materials added for different reasons. but the deciding factor should be feel and price. as someone pointed out, they felt the difference between the fli and tfo's, that is a personal preference. it does not make one rod better than the other, just different. rods are like women, everyone had a personal favorite. however, the biggest difference is, you can have as many rods as you want without offending the other rods and it costs a heck of a lot less to switch rods than women.

I’m a bamboo guy and I gave away all of my circular rods except 2 sage rods that I love (I don’t use them). However, a 590 4 piece and a 790 3 piece RPLX, if memory service me correct the Discovery is the IM6 technology and would be considered med fast to fast using today's standards (IMO). 200.00 bucks buy it IMO.

Joe E

AugustWest wrote:
BTW I cast several of the new Orvis ZG Helios rods over the weekend, an 8'4" 3 wt and a 9' 5wt. Very very nice, BUT $755 apiece.

The Helios are great rods, but I can't say they are THAT much better. I mean, $800 good. That kind of better. They are definitely LIGHT. They cast very well, but they mostly focus on their construction that allows for a market-leading light rod. For anything less than a 6 wt, the physical overall weight of a rod these days isn't much of a priority. TFO's are quite heavy and only a few of them do I find offensive. Most all Orvis rods are clearly heavier than the market leaders. But you should be able to find a light enough rod without compromise. A 4 wt, besides the 9 ft rods, can actually be TOO light for me. Like a shotgun, if you don't have some weight and length, you can't keep a smooth swing and you shoot WORSE with a gun you may have paid a lot MORE for. I need something to push against when I cast besides the line. Four weight rods are so light to begin with, a LIGHTER rod is like adding more icing to an already decorated cake. My 3 wt nearly disappears in my hand. I can barely sense it's weight and it's kind of a cheapie. It's an old tech Loomis IM6 rod but I LIKE its weight better than a newer, lighter one.
Syl

Its funny everyone complains about orvis's prices but price a top line sage...same deal expensive..The lower end rods are all being made over seas guys by the same manufacturer just different hardware for different companys..made in china till you get over 400.00. If you are looking for a under 200.00 rod then look at the private makers like myself..better quality than those china made rods...

I would certainly look at the Sage Launch series - I bought the 8'6" 5wt last year and really enjoy it - IMO great rod for the price...

I agree with sandfly. If you want to spend $200 go find a custom rod maker and they can build you a rod to your specs that will be much nicer than any $200 rod on the market.

After buying my first custom i will have a hard time buying another production rod unless it is one fantastic deal.

Crotalus wrote:
I agree with sandfly. If you want to spend $200 go find a custom rod maker and they can build you a rod to your specs that will be much nicer than any $200 rod on the market.

After buying my first custom i will have a hard time buying another production rod unless it is one fantastic deal.

I agree with these guys, but I'll one-up it. Just get a wrapping machine and build them yourself. it's like buying all your rods at 25% off if you shop carefully and if you can tie a fly you can build a rod. Mine might not be the prettiest rods in the world, and I don't know that I'd be able to make it as a pro, but they are all one of a kind and do what they need to. Just a thought.

Boyer

Back