Sage Bolt 590 or Method 590

I'm pretty sure that a TCR 690-4 could handle an 8 wt line with no prob. 7 might be a good fit for it

Brookie,
That AirFlo elite distance, distance pro or whatever it's called is very similar profile to SA expert distance. Tried it out on Saturday and it considerably different than the river and stream. The line doesn't seem to feel as head heavy requires a little more work. I was casting to a fish and moon1284 yells over "what are carrying 70' of line in false casts?". I doubt that was the case but the long belly did permit keeping a lot of line in the air. If these non-PVC lines hold up like the polyfuse 7000 that I bought 20 ago and still use... that's a good investment. Still have to try the SA textured trout taper.

Krayfish,
I'll take a look at the river and stream. I'd like to check the profile since you've found it better than the distance profile.

Igniter update: I let a buddy cast it (better caster than I am) and he was curious what it would do with a short-headed line (like a bass taper), or overlining it. We didn't have either lines (since I somehow lost the SA bass taper my One wouldn't cast), so the mystery remains. But I think I sold another Igniter for Sage.

BrookieChaser wrote:
Krayfish,
I'll take a look at the river and stream. I'd like to check the profile since you've found it better than the distance profile.

Igniter update: I let a buddy cast it (better caster than I am) and he was curious what it would do with a short-headed line (like a bass taper), or overlining it. We didn't have either lines (since I somehow lost the SA bass taper my One wouldn't cast), so the mystery remains. But I think I sold another Igniter for Sage.

I've found the bass taper line with the shorter heads limit the amount of line you can aerialize when you reach the point where the head transitions to running line.

The long belly/head lines like SA Expert Distance does a better job for longer casts than the short head lines. It actually over-lines the rod at certain point so staying with the recommended line weight usually works best. Plus the long head lines work really well when paired up with the rocket-launch type rods you two nimrods are casting.

Brookie, which weight Igniter did you get? It's a rod I'm contemplating for taking out West.

SteveG, it's an 890.

I would highly recommend casting one if you're interested in the series.

Ok. I'm going to try and track down a 4 or 5wt to cast. I previously cast a friend's 5wt Method, but didn't really like it. But I've heard the igniters have more flex in the tip.

You probably live 20 minutes from me. You are welcome to try mine with some different lines. You'll notice a huge difference between tapers

I'll take you up on that offer soon. I'm going to wait until my 5wt Radian gets back. Trying some different lines may be all I actually need.

I agree. Radian is a good rod

Back