saddle questions?

marcq

marcq

I'm looking to get some saddles for tying some saltwater patterns like sand eels and some other streamers. I never bought them and I know they cost a good amount. My question is what is a good brand to buy and is there anywhere you can get them cheaper. Also what do you look for when buying a good saddle?thanks marc

Whiting and Conranch are two good choices. For dry flies I look for dense barbs and feathers that are not twisted. For saltwater the criteria may be different.

I think it is. I bealive that you use flatwing saddles but not positive.

whiting flat wing
whiting eurohackle
metz magnum saddle

for salt water unless you are tying flat wing flies any old barnyard saddle patch works for deceivers, clousers etc..save your $$$ for hooks and such..

I think what I'm looking for is flatwings for the style of fly I'll be doing.
Something like this and sand eel to.
http://www.bayflyfishing.com/fly-wired_bunker-1.JPG

quality materials make quality flies

look for a Whiting flat wing saddle or a Whiting euro saddle in the colors you need
if youre trying to save $... buy white and dye it

(a little over a year ago, that was a $150+ fly)

sandfly wrote:
for salt water unless you are tying flat wing flies any old barnyard saddle patch works for deceivers, clousers etc..save your $$$ for hooks and such..

+1 ^

The # 1 thing to look for when buying saddle is what you intend to tie. wide webby are great for a broader profile and long narrow for a slim profile. get the best you can afford, but remember salt water fish tear up flies like there is no tomorrow. !

Yea I'm think of using it for mostly a sand eel pattern. I feel the flatwing it looks 10 times better then any epoxies. I have seen a few other flies that look so much better with flatwing then other material. I do have a Few barnyard patches but most seem to be not stright and look bad when tied down. It sucks that they cost so much but I'm just gonna get one or two and see where it goes. It also make me mad seeing chicks where them in there hair when they should be tied down on a hook.

Marc

a good source for webby large saddle feathers used to be ewing feather birds might be worth a look

Back