SA Line Choice

P

pwk5017

I am looking to line my future gloomis NRX 7wt and looking for some help. The SA guy refuses to call me back or answer his phone(seriously, I called this guy 3-4 times last week) and I am not sure what taper and weight to get. I am thinking the sharkskin gpx would be a good choice, because I plan on the outfit being a multi-species rig for carp, bass, steelhead and I might consider chasing musky with it MAYBE. First, what line weight should I get? A gentleman at international anglers suggested I line up the rod and go with an 8wt. Second, whats the best taper for chasing the above species? Third, how badly does sharkskin beat up your fingers?

The SA GPX lines are already a "half size" heavier than normal. Rio's version is their "Grand" series. I've never felt one of the NRX rods but I've heard they are quite stiff/fast. I'm guessing that you're talking about the 10' 7wt. You're probably better off finding a way to try the lines first before you buy. Another thing to think about is if you plan on throwing a lot of weight on a nymph rig or using a fast sinking poly leader, you may not want to be overlined already.

edit: also, SA makes a line called a "Mastery Textured" that isn't as aggressive as the Sharkskin.

skip the sharkskin and get the textured GPX

don't overline... get the 7wt and learn how to cast
like turkey said... a lot of lines are already at the top (or over) the AFFTA specs

Ramcatt wrote:
skip the sharkskin and get the textured GPX

don't overline... get the 7wt and learn how to cast
like turkey said... a lot of lines are already at the top (or over) the AFFTA specs

this. every damn thing he just said. that. and just trust him/me.

Thanks a bunch, guys. I knew I should consult the experts before making the purchase. Yeah, I knew they made a "toned down" version of sharkskin, but didnt want to sacrifice performance for comfort. Also, the textured mastery series only comes in willow, which is a terrible color. Why dont they offer a variety of colors for each line?

the textured is dimpled like a golf ball... unlike the raised ridges of sharkskin
there is also a magnum taper that is a bit more aggessive (and isn't willow colored)

some good info/videos and microscope comparison of textured vs sharkskin
http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/2011/03/11/scientific-angler-id-and-mastery-textured-line/

Ihave been looking into the textured and sharkskin lines. I have a budy thagt love the sa sharkskin. But I was lookin in a SA express streamer line and I think the sharkin would be a possible mistake. Im wating for them to come out twith express in the textrued.

I like plain old GPX lines, and I know how to cast. I use them to carry heavy flies, and that sounds like what the OP wants to do. I also like SA's Mastery trout for smaller/lighter flies. It lands so lightly....AHhhhhh. I've tried Sharkskin, but can't get past the noise and price. I've heard the golfball textured line, and it's still annoying (to me at least).

I have/had Sharkskin in 4,5,6,7,9 weights. My rods were all Sharkskin. I am phasing out Sharkskin as warranted/needed/able. Yes, there is the noise, and yes there is minor abrasion of your fingers from a days "work". My big issues are that I bought a line with a welded loop. I use them. My 9 wt loop failed on the first few casts in my lawn. I have had the 4 and 5 wt replaced a couple times. SA is good about backing up their warranty but it is still an unneeded hassle. I believe that the loops are not properly engineered for some reason. I have never had a problem with regular SA GPX, nor have I had problems with the Textured GPX. The other big issue is that Sharkskin carriers a much larger amount of water on the line, causing guides to ice much more quickly.

Seriously. GPX Textured >>>>> GPX Sharkskin.

Interesting about the welded loops failing. I've never cast a sharkskin but I've felt one and didn't care for it too much. I really like SA lines on my smaller rods, I think it was the XPS line that I used to buy.

I put a Wulff Ambush TT in 8wt on a 10' 7wt rod that I wrapped myself for steelhead. As soon as it got cold enough the line started to freeze up. It was like flailing a bull whip around. I couldn't help smacking the water and after awhile I was nervous that I was going to snap the rod. I can only imagine that the sharkskin would hold even more water.

I had SA loops fail when they first started factory welding
but haven't had any isses in the past 3 yrs or so since they changed their process

any issues I had were qucikly taken care of by customer service

I would recommend the gpx textured. have it on my 4wt and love it. also have the nymphing line in 7wt for steelies and is also fantastic .

This discussion has been great. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to the technical aspect of fly lines and their tapers, and the posts have been great. I think I am going to go with the textured mastery magnum taper. Now, this line is a half size heavier for fast action rods, but is this going to be enough for me to feel the rod loading without having 40-50' of line out? I do make casts of that length, but I also make alot of sub 30' casts and would like to feel the rod a bit.

The Loomis NRX won Yellowstone Anglers 8wt Shootout:
CLICK HERE The 8wt NRX was reported to load well in close, and the rods that were too stiff were criticized as such. Some people think that George Anderson is biased in favor of stiff rods, but his words speak differently. You have the NRX 7wt, but they should be close enough to make a fair comparison.

I'd forget about talking to the SA guy, eventhough I've spoken with the people at SA. Call a store that sells NRX rods, and give them a call.

by "SA guy"
are you refering to a sales rep?

Yeah, or their "tech guy". Whoever they patch you through to when you call the contact number.

I thought i was unlucky with two SA fly lines, but the welded loops failed on both much to soon also. I wonder if others experienced what Jdaddy and I did? (mine were not sharkskin)

In contrast, rio's loops hold up.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
I thought i was unlucky with two SA fly lines, but the welded loops failed on both much to soon also. I wonder if others experienced what Jdaddy and I did? (mine were not sharkskin)

In contrast, rio's loops hold up.

ya. hell ya. just about everyone i know who uses sharkskin has had loop failures. on the other hand, i have never had any other SA line fail. when you look at where the loop fails it makes you laugh. of course it fails. it's about 1/2" of material laminated to the other section.

i have a winston BIIIx which is not as fast as NRX (what is?) but certainly is a fast, responsive rod. the gpx is great on this rod. OP mentions loading up close versus longer distances. that is the exact purpose of gpx "over lining".

again. gpx textured 7 wt. no reason for magnum.

I think the magnum taper would be right at home on 8 to 10 weight rods say like for salmon or bass. If ya had to thow big bugs or heavy indicator rigs.

The Only reason to overline a rod is if the rod is a fast rod and it doesn't load well with the intended line. The only way to really know what line to use is to go to a fly shop, or Cableas or Bass Pro rig it up with the line you want to use and see how it casts. If it's a slow rod underline it and try it that way.

Back