S.A. Sharkskin Line

eballat

eballat

I just spooled one of my fly reels today with the new shark skin line from scientific anglers. All i have to say about this line is WOW. This stuff shoots like a rifle and floats like a dream. I get like 10-15 ft out of my casts compared to before if i really want to. It mends really well too. The only thing that annoys me with it, and i mean a very minute amount, is the sound it makes while your casting. It sounds like nylon wind pants rubbing together as you walk as it slides through your guides. Its because of the texture on the outside of the line. OH YEAH and the price. Its 100 bucks a spool. I recommend it though. Its a REALLY great performing line.

I think there are a few others using this as well.

Please post an update on how easy it is to keep clean, and how long it lasts. To be honest, I'd try a spool if I could be sure that it lasts long enough. I'm concerned that it will get real dirty, due to the texture.

If it is that rough what does it do to your guides while it is going thru.

Along with sharkskin reviews, anyone use the ridged stuff by airflow?

I have been using Sharkskin for about 4 months now. I have both colors, Blue Heron and Chartreuse in WF-4-F. They are easy to clean and maintain. They float extremely well. The floating line will sink in deep water with weighted flies, but will resurface when the drift goes to shallow water. I can see where the loop for attaching the leader/tippet is probably going to be the first breakdown point with the line. They are already showing signs of wear. They can be replaced with a nail knot and some mono. I am very happy with thier preformance. I'm a small stream nymph fisher, so my casting mechanics are horrible. But when I do cast a dry, the line is very forgiving. I think the chartreuse is to bright for small, clear stream fishing. For color, I prefer the blue heron. I stands out in all water conditions so far. Overall I give the line a solid 8.5 - 9 out of 10. I'd give it higher marks, but the price may make it prohibitive to a lot of folks.

I love how it floats, mends and cast. I did fish streamers for a while on Penns and i ended up cutting my hand with a strip set and actually drew blood.

Back