running and shooting lines systems

B

baileyoconnell

I have a 9 wt with an intermediate line. Am considering a shooting head and running line system to be able to fish the entire water column in the salt. Anyone have any suggestions, experience or comments? Thanks

I like 2 running lines, cortland braided mono and rio slick shooter. I make sinking heads out of cortland LC13 lead core..braided mono does not need to be stretched at all. been using this setup for the beach and rivers for over 20 years and still havn't found a better setup..

Shooting head systems are a bit of an acquired taste. I love 'em for northeast saltwater. However, I tried a SH system for smallies and bonefish and didn't like 'em and went back to WF fly lines. Anyway, I can't remember the brand of the heads and running lines I use but I'd imagine Sandfly's advice is good. My 10 WT rod uses a fast sink head about 25' that is about 375 grains(?). I love it for surf and jetty work and would never put a WF back on this rod.

Once you get used to the somewhat awkward loop to loop joint, you'll find SHs cast like a cannon and allow for great distance and windbreaking power. With respect to accuracy, they're not so hot in my experience.

rio powerflex or amnesia for running line

Rio T- material for sinks

Been using Orvis shooting head system for 3 years on my 9wt for stripers and it works great. Loop does not hinge and can throw it a mile.

+1 for Rio Powerflex

Back