Rules of feather collecting

gfen wrote:
You've missed the point. If you can shoot it, you can have it. All the wringing of hands can be reduced to that simple concept. If in doubt, can you shoot it?

This would work, if you could shoot any bird at any given time in a year. But seeing how there is seasons for them it really doesnt work. You go blasting birds out of season you might as well be shooting bald eagles.

Phish_On wrote:
Alright then, I have some grouse feathers for trade!

What color phase is the grouse in? IF it is in its brown morph, you maybe able to get a pretty penny for it. It all depends on the color tones. The "redder" the better.

I get what gfen is saying, if it's a game bird an you have the proper license to harvest said animal you may keep the feathers legally.

not even that the idea that i think he is trying to get across is if any person in the state you are in could have taken that animal then you can legally have it . reason being that they could have given you the material. the only exception to that rule would be a tundra swan which is a 10,000 dollar fine in pa but in another state i know you can have a permit that allows you to harvest one . there i would stay away as the burden of proof would be on you to show the feathers in possition were from a legally obtained animal. Another part of this equation is if the parts in question can be verified to be older then the law prohibiting the ownership of said material . which is why old verified mounts are worth so much.

Phish_On wrote:
I get what gfen is saying, if it's a game bird an you have the proper license to harvest said animal you may keep the feathers legally.

bing. hell, even if you DON'T have a lisence, if you can shoot it, you can have it.

however, that would be illegal for reasons different than posession of the feathers.

the fact that an animal is harvestable is grounds enough for the legality of possession of its bits and pieces. if its not, then chances are you're violating someone's protocol somewhere somehow sometime.

on the other hand, quillfly shows up with some sort of insane exception to the rule. i deny your exception because tundra swans don't exist. or something. seriously, man, just stick with the simplicity of it and stop looking for loop holes.

i bet you use leadercalc religiously.

After following this thread I thought the following seemed appropriate!

A fish and game warden caught a man shooting at loons. He arrested him on the spot and took him right to town and brought him up before the judge. The judge said, "This is terrible, these birds are endangered, I've got a good mind to throw the book at you." "You're right, your honor, I have no excuse, it's just that they taste so good I couldn't help myself."

"That certainly is no excuse, I would think you'd have better sense than to break the law and risk jail just because loons taste good." "That's true, your honor but they really are delicious."

"Well, not that I would ever want to eat one, but just out of curiosity what does a loon taste like?" "Well, your honor, half way between a blue heron and a bald eagle!"

SALMO

JohnnyUtah wrote:
gfen wrote:
You've missed the point. If you can shoot it, you can have it. All the wringing of hands can be reduced to that simple concept. If in doubt, can you shoot it?

This would work, if you could shoot any bird at any given time in a year. But seeing how there is seasons for them it really doesnt work. You go blasting birds out of season you might as well be shooting bald eagles.

You are totally missing the point too and it absolutely does work. If it is a game bird, and legal to shot at some time during the year in some place in this country, then it is safe to assume that you can posses part of it at any time during the year. If there is no legal hunting season any time or anywhere in this country for a certain bird (in other words, protected), then it is best to assume that you can't possess any part of it. find a turkey wing feather? OK to keep. Find a red tailed hawk wing feather? not OK to keep and they do look very similar.

the same rule of thumb applies to mammals as well. Bear and quail are both protected where I live. But it is legal for me to posses the fur and feathers from said creature because they are not federally protected.

It's a simple rule of thumb if you don't want to obtain copies of the multiple laws on migratory song birds or protected species acts.

You can also posses parts of birds that can be legally raised in this country, like junglecock, Lady Amherst pheasant, pea fowl, Guinea fowl, exotic quail, partridge and pheasant, etc, etc. It also applies to chickens.

Or you could just buy your supplies at the Orvis shop and save the receipts of you are really paranoid.

Phish_On wrote:

That's not quite right either.

You don't have to have the license to posses feathers from game birds. It just has to be legal to hunt said bird at some time, somewhere in this country, hence the term game bird..

A lot of fly tyers don't hunt and it would be unreasonable to expect a fly tyer to buy a hunting license to tie a PT nymph.

Dave your dead on with the possession. But unless i'm mistaken this thread is about HARVESTING.

gfen your right in saying im completely nit picking but i just wanted to show that there are cases same with things like fresh polar bear hide and some species of rams technically there are some individuals that can harvest those animals but without the proper paperwork you are up the creek unless that specific person can testify they gave you those materials by the way tundra swans are real see for your self

link http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/tundra_swan/lifehistory

and for your information i wrote my own program for leader building same idea as leader calc but you can vary the percentages of the build

yea i am seriously that bad

Since this seems to confuse some still--- just use foam and polly yarn.

Or just don't own feathers of things you can't kill. Its really only as complex as one wants to make it.

I came across a perfectly dead bluejay today in my yard. I'm thinking about keeping some feathers off it because we can buy these feathers in the UK right?

So anyone know how the bird police can tell where my feathers came from? Do they run some crazy test on it if they think it's a resident bird?

they don't have to prove that it was illegal to take the feathers the burden of proof is on you to show that the feathers were legally obtained . same principal if you had a artifact from another country . unless you have the proper paperwork your up the creek

Now you got me thinking about all my other material i purchased.

And what about people who live in NJ? Can they own Dove skins?
Or do they need goofy paperwork for them?

blue jays here are a different bird than in the uk. here they are Illegal, those over there are legal and can be bought here..

Wulff wrote:
I didn't know you couldn't pick up a feather off of the ground. How can that possibly be a law?

Because some guy will kill the bird and claim he picked up the feathers.

That's unbelievable. You can't pick up a feather...

I know a guy who is quite proficient in giving the bird!

SALMO

Back