Ruffed Grouse feather for tying

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Hello all,

Just wondering what some uses for ruffed grouse feathers are for tying.

I was thinking of using some of the tail fan feather from my next grouse as tail material. I am a bit nervous to do this as they are pretty thin. I

Do you think that some of the feathers could be used like hen hackle as well?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Absolutely tie soft hackles from that beautiful bird. I've tied nymphs from the tail, made tails, body, and legs with them too. The molted pattern the feathers have is outstanding. Some of the feathers are just like marabou don't forget them. Good tying.

The whole cape of a ruffed grouse can be used much like a ringneck pheasant or Hungarian partridge would be used. As lv2nymph had said the mottled pattern on grouse feathers are great. Also the feathers off of the shoulders of the wings have historically been used to tie soft hackle wet flies. They have a really good look when used that way. Be creative with them ..... Great tying materials!

This is my favorite wetfly, a simple variation of a Hare's Ear wetfly.

Hackle: Grouse hackle, about 3-4 turns

Body: Hares ear dubbing

Ribbing: gold wire, or copper wire

I uses sizes 14 and 16 the most. It imitates tan caddis, but is also just an all around good suggestive pattern.

For the copper wire, you can just strip some wire from an old junked lamp or appliance or extension cord.

Another good wet fly is:
Grouse hackle, peacock body, rib with gold or copper wire.

As the guys mentioned above, wet flies, nymphs. Oner of my dads favorite wet flies was the bread crust. Where you take a grouse tail feather split it down the middle, soak it well, wrap it on your hook shank, trim the fibers to maybe 1/6''. Wrap a grizzly hen or grey partridge hackle in front. I believe the original pattern had a orange floss under body. At leaset thats how we always tied it. Makes a real nice buggy wet fly and is very effective.

GenCon

Thanks guys. I want to save most of the feathers off of my next one, and tie up some soft hackle stuff with it. Especially the hares ear pattern.

My uncle aslo showed me a peeping caddis pattern that has a beadhead, squirrel body, soft hackle at the hook shank, and I am guessing a piece of white yarn or small chenille for the head. I want to tie this pattern, and could use partridge but love tying with animals I have harvested.

Thanks again for the tips.

Grouse make the nicest soft hackles.

AD23697F-A8BB-438D-85BE-A87F5A3BAEEB.jpg

lv2nymph wrote:
Absolutely tie soft hackles from that beautiful bird. I've tied nymphs from the tail, made tails, body, and legs with them too. The molted pattern the feathers have is outstanding. Some of the feathers are just like marabou don't forget them. Good tying.

+1

Where are the best feathers for soft hackles located on these guys.

Do you use any of the Ruff area?

Back