Royal Coachmen

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

Aint tied any of these in ages, so last night i took quick break from salmon flies and tied up these two.
Hooks are classic mustad 3123 Size 7!!! You know they're classic when the sizes are in odd numbers!!
i love wet flies on limerick hooks too!!

2012-09-04_22-33-04_452.jpg

2012-09-04_22-33-22_64.jpg

Very nice. :)
I always have trouble with tying the wings on top of this style of fly.
What do you do? Mine always get crushed at the tie in point.
Bill

its all matter of how you hold them.
I use the thumb and second finger of my left hand.
Find the tie in point on the feathers
Make two loose pinch wraps and gently lets the bobbin hang down free under the hook.
slowly loose the pinch wraps all the while tightly holding the feather slips
the weight of the bobbin will draw the fibers down.you should see the butt ends of the barbs collapse, not the bit you are holding.
It helps to hold the butt end too with your free hand to ensure the loose wraps don't slip off the front, and you can manipulate the butts to help them collapse.
once collapsed take 4 or 5 more firm wraps FORWARD, while still holding the slips with your left hand TIGHTLY. never go back, that causes the wings to fold under themselves. Once you're happy with the wraps let go of the wings and they should be set - on top of the hook, not down the sides.

Eunan

Brings back good memories, caught my first fish on a fly using a coachman. Malays carry wets and streamer versions.

eunanhendron wrote:
its all matter of how you hold them.
I use the thumb and second finger of my left hand.
Find the tie in point on the feathers
Make two loose pinch wraps and gently lets the bobbin hang down free under the hook.
slowly loose the pinch wraps all the while tightly holding the feather slips
the weight of the bobbin will draw the fibers down.you should see the butt ends of the barbs collapse, not the bit you are holding.
It helps to hold the butt end too with your free hand to ensure the loose wraps don't slip off the front, and you can manipulate the butts to help them collapse.
once collapsed take 4 or 5 more firm wraps FORWARD, while still holding the slips with your left hand TIGHTLY. never go back, that causes the wings to fold under themselves. Once you're happy with the wraps let go of the wings and they should be set - on top of the hook, not down the sides.

Eunan

Eunan,

I have been doing 2 tight pinch wraps. Which has been making it hard to place the wings.
I am guilty of winding back on the wings. This is the cause of most of my problems.

Thanks,
Bill

do the loose pinch wraps. and also, find the tie in point on the fibers, hold them, then before wrapping, wet them with spit, or in a cup of water, it softens the barbs and they collapse much easier and with less of a tendency to fold one way or the other.

Hi Eunan - I sent you a PM...

I spend too much time tying dries and forget just how beautiful some of he winged wet patterns can be. Not as much complexity as the salmon flys, but the simplicity really highlights the importance of the proportions. Very well done!

Back