Roxbury NY

B

buckspa

Maybe a long shot, but my brother and I are getting our families together for a few days near Roxbury NY. We will have our fly gear, just in case. Anyone know the area or have some guidance?

That's on the North side of the Catskills. The streams are less fertile up there, but the crowds are much less also. Many of the rivers warm early, but the wet season this year may have the trout hitting all summer.

Probably the best choice is the upper West Branch of the Delaware to the west. Plenty of open water to explore. Here are the public fishing rights maps: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/pfrwestbranch.pdf
Few people see the West Branch above the tailwater section.

To the east is the Schoharie drainage with the Batavia Kill as the main trib. Nice valley streams with not much pressure - but less fish and they tend to warm early. Cruise around the NY DEC site for PFR's on these streams. There are good spots on these streams though that the locals keep to themselves.

A third option is to put on your hiking boots and head up to a little brookie stream. Pretty much any stream heading into the state forest lands will hold brookies. Some streams are loaded, but don't expect any big ones. The mountain trickles stay cold all summer so that's an option if you get a heat wave. Or fish for smallies in the lower Schoharie.

Good luck.

I'm sure that the streams that warm up probably have smallies in them. You could try fishing for them.

Back