Rowing a pontoon vs. Drift boat

Stimey

Stimey

I've been learning to row a drift boat the last 2 seasons (low profile hyde fiberglass) still not great at it but getting much better.... I feel safe doing it in most conditions.... now working on the more technical points of boat control to allow the person fishing a better shot. Was wondering how different it is to row a pontoon in terms of the technical aspects? Still do the same things like back row bow to danger, etc...

Just picked up a toon for lower water conditions and have no idea what to expect when I get in on the water. Looking on advice for boat operation, not pros/cons of one vs. other

Thanks

Pretty similar I think. I have rowed both a few times and found the toon easier. I am willing to let you take me down the river and practice. I will even row for you a couple minutes. :)

Pontoon easier to launch anywhere. Faster to turn. Hard boat is heavier so less impact during breezy conditions, not as quick to turn. Bring your boat up to the D. I'll row you for a short float. It's not hard at all. Back row and know when to anchor.

Rowing a drift boat thru Long eddy BLOWS. Of course it would still blow in a 'toon.

Another boat on the Big D. Welcome!

DaveS wrote:
Rowing a drift boat thru Long eddy BLOWS. Of course it would still blow in a 'toon.

Just did that 2 weekends ago. Unfortunately the wind was also blowing straight upriver which it made twice as a PITA. If we would have been in our pontoon instead of our Clacka, we would have never been able to row against the whitecaps coming upriver. It sucked.

toons much lighter and can be greatly affected by wind, without the wind problem they are much more maneuverable, row left side forward & right side back and you can do a quick 180

Stimey,

Come join us in May. 5/4 - 5/11

Krayfish,

Are you guys doing a "jam" in May up on west branch, must have missed it.... funny thing is I have a trip booked (staying at west branch angler) from may 7 to the 11th will have to try and meet up.

Anyway, did my Maiden Toon float on the west branch on Saturday 4/20. Put in at hale eddy and took out at Balls Eddy. Water didn't get too high fromt the T-storm friday night, but was off color. Chucked streamers and only managed one brown... but it was a nice one in the 16-17 inch range and fat like a football. Got it on a olive sculpin. Caught down in the mud flats.

I really liked the toon, more manuverable than my dad's hyde. Luckily the wind was blowing down stream most of the day, but I can see how this would be a problem in upstream. Not real great to fish out of but it works. Can really see how it will be an advantage in lowere water to get from point A to B.

A pontoon is great for getting from one pool to the other or for getting to the opposite bank when fish are out of reach. Fishing from the "toon" isn't so much fun but I do 75% from the boat and 25% wadidng. Wind down river is awesome, across river isn't as much fun and blowing up river is a living hell. You get to a pool that is normally like glass and it appears to be a 1/4 long riff... NOPE. It's whitecaps blowing your way and coming over the pontoons.

Under "events / meet-ups"....Chaos in the Catskills. Also do a fall JAM up there in late Sept / Oct.

Back