Row Vs Wade

You forgot to include walking the bank. Any rental boats available for the Jam? GG

TB, I did a similar thing, though I had a kayak with a spray skirt and a helmet. But I didn't have the two things I needed most - experience and skill. I now have a lot of respect for the Lehigh gorge.

THIS needs to be a T-shirt!
Syl

My first time whitewater rafting was the Upper Gauley River in WV. I legitimately thought there was a decent chance I would not survive the 9 mile trip. I feared for my life.

You didn't do your first ever trip during gaulyfest in the fall...did you?? If so, that's flat out insane

I wanted to run that last year but couldn't find anybody crazy enough to go with me. I'm borderline too old to do that kind of nonsense but I want to try it

I’ve rafted and taken my 11‘ pontoon through Yankee Jim Canyon on the Yellowstone. It has class II and III water where there can be some pretty good fishing, but not much opportunity for wading. I never tried it in a hard sided boat though.

D4A08600 FD34 4EED B166 181B84220727

When we ran the Gauley it was during the summer. They were running rafts at that time of year only because it was a rainy summer. But it was the first time I had ever been rafting. My friends who planned the trip had prior experience but most of us did not. I fell in early on during the trip and the current was so strong that it suck off my shoes. Fortunately I managed to stay in the boat the rest of the way, but I was terrified the entire time. I have not been back.

I rafted the upper Gauley River 15-20 years ago. It was Bridge Day with parachute jumpers off the bridge combined with Gauley River water released water from Summersville Lake.

A lot of tourists and adventure seekers, and the weather was perfect.

I was on a raft guided by one of the professional guided rafting companies. I can't say enough good things about our guide. Every one on the raft either had some level of rafting experience or was at least smart enough to know that we had to be teammates and follow our guide's instructions.

We were one of the very few rafts that successfully navigated Sweet's Falls.

I give all of the credit to just how good our guide was and that we, the rafters, could follow instructions.

It was a very intense, exciting, and thrill of a lifetime rafting trip.

After doing the Upper Gauley, I did return for a trip down the New River. Much more relaxing!

We had four-person rafts plus the guide. So teamwork was key. I never rowed harder or paid closer attention than to the guide when we navigated the rapids that day.

WW rafted the Eagle River near Beaver Creek, Co. Class 4 or 5 at the time according to the guide....Yow!! We lost two guys out of the raft (they were rescued downstream) and I smashed my leg on a rock. Terrifying.....but after it was over I appreciated the experience. But would never do it again.

WW rafted the Eagle River near Beaver Creek, Co. Class 4 or 5 at the time according to the guide....Yow!! We lost two guys out of the raft (they were rescued downstream) and I smashed my leg on a rock. Terrifying.....but after it was over I appreciated the experience. But would never do it again.
That sounds like an experience that's best enjoyed vicariously. ;)

While searching for gauleyfest vid, I did find one where guys ran it at normal flows on stand up paddle board! No thanks

While searching for gauleyfest vid, I did find one where guys ran it at normal flows on stand up paddle board! No thanks

I know I won’t be doing that again. I did it once and looking back I guess I’m glad I can say I did it. But it scared the hell out of me at the time. I don’t need to do it again.

I love whitewater rafting and have rafted the Arkansas, the Lehigh, the Poudre, the Kennebec, the Colorado near Moab, the Rogue, the Futuleufu in Patagonia, the Colorado through the Grand Canyon, et al.
The Gauley is the best of all of them during the fall dam releases.

I love rowing and fishing from a drift boat, raft, jon boat, or kayak. I love wading too. Every body of water, fish species, hatches, weather, flows, winds, season, solunar forecast, etc. determines which one I will choose that day.

Last edited:
I also love rowing except for when the wind is blowing 25 mph upriver. I've had some brutal days on the oars and forced a float on a day where kite flying would have been a better idea 😂

Back