Row Vs Wade

LetortAngler

LetortAngler

D2E1ABC8 AEE0 4009 AF11 3E29F6BAABB6

Wade any day. I just like to have my feet planted on the ground. I like the stability. Maybe its because I've been in too many car accidents. Also when casting from a boat I have to compensate for the speed and angle of the boat. I really don't like sitting in a kayak and casting from it. I like to put my whole body into my cast. That's not to say I wouldn't fish from a boat, just a preference. If I ever do saltwater fishing from a skiff I don't think I'd have any issues because I'm standing. On a river I would used a boat as means of transportation and then hop out to fish each spot.

^Forgot this, but yeah, that too. It's good to hear from ya @wildtrout2, haven't heard from you in a bit.

Clever play on words for the title! Hope nothing political comes up......

I've never been crazy about floating.
I did it some when I was younger, and it is a great way to check out a stream for sure.

But the older I get, the less of it I do.
It usually seems to be more of a hassle than its worth to me now.

You have to haul whatever your using to the fishing spot.
Line up the shuttle, and position vehicles for the beginning and end of it.
The jockeying around costs more time.
And if the fishing isn't good, I like being able to move to another section or stream quickly.

That said, I did float the Kinzua tailwater with a buddy late last summer.
The weather and water temps were too warm for trout then.
We just used it as an enjoyable way to check new sections of the river.
And even went for a refreshing swim.

Wade.

Or row until you reach a good spot to get out and wade.

Wade any day. I just like to have my feet planted on the ground. I like the stability. Maybe its because I've been in too many car accidents. Also when casting from a boat I have to compensate for the speed and angle of the boat. I really don't like sitting in a kayak and casting from it. I like to put my whole body into my cast. That's not to say I wouldn't fish from a boat, just a preference. If I ever do saltwater fishing from a skiff I don't think I'd have any issues because I'm standing. On a river I would used a boat as means of transportation and then hop out to fish each spot.
At my age even with my feet on the ground I lack stability. :)

Attachments

• 4911F2F8-7A4B-47E5-B8F3-1814C6C26487.jpeg
    4911F2F8-7A4B-47E5-B8F3-1814C6C26487.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 50
I row, row, rowed my boat
Gently down the the stream.
But I shoulda just kept rowing my boat
‘Cause wading was harder than I dreamed.

601FCC0B 156B 4E51 8F5B 6D614489268E

At my age even with my feet on the ground I lack stability. :)
You'll need stability if you wanna fish with me and the creek I have in mind. One slip up could be lights out for good.

From the OP pic, wade, for obvious reasons.. :)

95% of my fishing is wading. I have never stepped foot in a drift boat in my life. I do enjoy running a river in a kayak and fishing that way, though it's mostly smallie fishing. It's a great way to cover water. The biggest of the big trout streams I fish are on the order of Penns, LJR, Tionesta, Oil, Pine sized. They are big enough to float. But in prime trout season, too crowded, it's more hassle than it's worth, you're just constantly trying not to **** people off too bad, going along shore behind them.

But on the Susquehanna, Big J, etc floating is just the best way to fish it, even if you island hop or get out and fish. And it's a fine way to do streams like Pine too, once summer comes and the crowds are gone.

One drawback of floating, yak or otherwise, is, the evening rise is tricky. I do not want to be boating well after dark, so you better be by the vehicle at the magic hour, and if you're stuck by the vehicle, why you got a boat at all?

Same, 95% wade fishing. A rare guided float trip on upper D or Salmon R - largely to get to places hard to access on foot and to learn the river. A day with a guide is worth it for the educational value if you ask the right questions. Interested in floated the Lehigh some day

I grew up on the lower Delaware and enjoy a couple of canoe/kayak trips a year for smallmouth. Get to hit a lot of spots spending time with my buddies. Plus it is a beautiful river.

Used to canoe float larger trout streams 40 years ago, but conflicts with wading anglers got tough so I quit that decades ago.

I hate that meme but putting that aside rowing vs. wading is totally contingent upon the body of water you’re fishing. Fish a big river where the fish are rising outside of wading and casting distance and you’ll jump in a boat first chance you get. The vast majority of streams in PA are easily waded.

Row vs Wade was recently overturned, the correct answer is Wade🤣. Even when I float I love to get out and wade, it adds that extra bit of athletism to fly fishing.

Back