Rotary vs. Non-Rotary vise

billfrech

billfrech

I am interested in opinions on a rotary vs a non-rotary vises.

I have a Regal vise and am happy with it. I tie mostly small flies (size 14 and up) but occasionally tie some saltwater flies.

I was curious of other thoughts on whether it is easier to tie with a rotary vise.

And what is your favorite vise (note that is with an "s" not a "c")

I also tie on a regal and really like it. I've never had a need for a true rotary. Although I guess that depends on what kind of flies you tie

Many pro tyers use a Regal vise. Simple, no adjustments for hook size, and a real bulldog of a vise.

I own both a Regal and a Renzetti Traveler rotary vise. I do most of my tying on the Renzetti (I've used it for 20 years) and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Some say buying a rotary vise is a "waste" and never or seldom use the function. I often use the rotary function for ribbing, palmering hackle, winding wire or quills and biots, etc.

I like using the cradle to keep the bobbin out of the way when working on a fly.

Being able to rotate the fly 360* with the fly staying in level position is great to inspect the fly and work on a fly from all angles. I also gives you the ability to rotate and tie a fly like a clouser hook point up without fussing with the fly or the vise.

HTH.

Edit:
Ties awesome dry flies too, DFG.

+1 to what afish said. I use the same renzetti and tie all types of flies from #26 dries/nymphs - 6/0 saltwater. Will never go back.

Yep what Afish said. I don't use it all the time, but it comes.in handy when I need it. Same Renzetti as well.

Used a Regal vise for 25 years before switching to a rotary about six years ago. Never knew what I was missing. From clipping off waste to rotating to observe various angles of the fly to attaching materials in varying hook shank positions the rotary does so much more for me. Couldn't do without one now.

It really depends on the tyer.

When I got my Renzetti, it took me a while before I really started to utilize the rotary action due to years of tying up to that point.

Once I did though, both the neatness and speed of my tying improved not to mention I have much less breakage of tying thread, hackle feathers, etc.

However, I don't think a rotary vice is a necessity as much as a luxury.

Shock

Yeah I think it depends on the tyer, I mostly tie 12 or smaller flies and I have a cheaper vise which is an anvil apex. I have been told by a few people who tie professionally that they wouldn't consider the apex a rotary vise.

I don't care it is a awesome vise and it does rotate again maybe not in the true sense as some of the more expensive ones but I rotate it to do ribbing, wire and like a few have said to just inspect the fly.

I have grown so use to being able to do that, so I wouldn't consider buying another vise that didn't rotate in some way. That being said I am going to get another anvil apex and keep it back so when the time comes to get another vise I have the one I have come to really love.

If you are happy with the one you have stick with it!

What afish and the others have said about the renzetti rotary vise. I do use the rotary function. Makes better dry flies.

I have a Regal with a pedestal and clamp mounts so it can travel easily and i can use it in any situation i run into in those travels , the brass pedestal is a bit heavy to carry around with you so i switch to the clamp mount when i take it on the road. The Regal has what i call a semi rotary function that lets you easily rotate it enough to check out the bottom and the back of a fly if you want to make sure all is going well and looking good in the parts of the fly you can't see while tying with a fixed jaw vise like the Thompson A that i learned on and still have and still occasionally use or let someone use who wants to learn , on a trial basis before they make the big leap and invest in their own equipment. My feelings on a rotary is that pro tiers where speed comes into the picture are fine if that's what you want to do. For myself though speed is not a requirement , even if i'm tying to fill an order for someone , i want the experience to be relaxing and enjoyable , a sort of therapy. I feel tying is closer to art than manufacturing and cranking out dozens of clones is not what i want to do. I do it to feel good and what makes me feel good is creating a decent looking , durable imitation of something a fish might eat either to use myself or for someone else to use with success which is what i want , bottom line , for myself or a "customer". Speed and numbers are the advantages that a rotary gives a tier IMO and i'm not worried about speed and numbers. I just want to have fun. HAVE FUN!!!!!

Renzetti, but I'm contemplating a Regal for huge salt and lake patterns.

Great good read here about rotary vs non.

http://flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc288.php

Rotory is were handy,Im a dyna king user and can lock it down or use rotory.My vote rotory.

I tied for decades with a Thompson A vise. A few years ago I thought I'd give a rotary vise a try and picked up a Peak Rotary vise. I confess I often don't make full use of the rotary function since old habits of wrapping vs rotating still linger, but for tying something like buggers I love the rotary function. The ability to rotate the fly to inspect it at any time during the tie without taking the hook out of the vise is something I would dearly miss if I went back to the Thompson.

gibsy...........that was a good read , and also confirms what i was trying to get across by say that if you are a pro and need to save time you can "zing" through dubbing and ribbing etc. but if you just tie for fun and to keep a few steady folks supplied , the Regal lets you see enough of the back and the sides of the fly to make sure things are going well.

Actually, many of the pro tyers I see use Regal vises. Rotary vises (like the Traveler) are not any faster, but make tying easier for many of those that have learned to use one.

I have a dyna-king barracuda vise that I use for tying big streamers. The full rotary can be real useful, although I've never used the rotary functions for tying basic nymphs and dry flies.

Back